Logo

'76 Glasply repower from 160hp 120/140 outdrive to ?

SomethingFishy

Greetings all,

I have a 1976 21' Glasply with an existing 160hp inline 6 and 120/140 outdrive that has bought the farm. Engine is likely still good. Looking for recommendations on possible drop-in replacements for outdrive, motor, or both. I'll have to measure the engine well again, but it doesn't look like most V-blocks would fit.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rob

if you are going to keep the 160, get a drive for the 160.... the 120/140 unit probably failed due to the wrong gear sizing for the 160 and too steep of a prop for them and being driven by more power than they were designed for....

if it is only the upper gears that went out, as usual, the unit may be able to be rebuilt WITH the correct upper gears fairly economically.... by someone who knows how to clean up a failed outdrive...

the 160 is a good engine, they run smooth with good power for their weight, and some have added bigger carbs to get more power from them... this is not my recommendation, but if you know your way around an engine, it can easily be done...
if the engine is a good runner, I would stick with it and install the proper drive

Thanks for the note. I'll provide a little more background that may help..

I acquired the boat in the current configuration, and really didn't know until now that the motor and outdrive were mismatched. We ran the boat as-is for probably 3-4 years, and the actual problem that happened is that a pin-hole developed in the prop gear housing / lower unit. I found it after servicing it when a paint bubble broke and the brand-new oil I just put in drained out on the ground overnight. Prior to that I had no performance issues with it, although it wasn't under heavy use.

I'm open to keeping the current engine and putting in a different outdrive if I can find one, especially given the discovery of mismatch. If I'm going to throw money at it, I prefer the right parts instead of future problems.

What got this all started is that I've come across a 1985 vintage 170 hp engine and outdrive (model yet unknown, from photos looks like an Alpha I model) as a potential replacement.

For this situation, I would like to know what I should be looking for with respect to:

1) If I keep the current 160 merc, what outdrive(s) should I be looking for?
2) If I replace engine and outdrive both, what combo's should I look at that would fit / be the easiest to do without major structural changes?

Any input / wisdom appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

if you are going to keep the 160, get a drive for the 160.... the 120/140 unit probably failed due to the wrong gear sizing for the 160 and too steep of a prop for them and being driven by more power than they were designed for....

if it is only the upper gears that went out, as usual, the unit may be able to be rebuilt WITH the correct upper gears fairly economically.... by someone who knows how to clean up a failed outdrive...

the 160 is a good engine, they run smooth with good power for their weight, and some have added bigger carbs to get more power from them... this is not my recommendation, but if you know your way around an engine, it can easily be done...
if the engine is a good runner, I would stick with it and install the proper drive

if you are happy with how the current engine performs, just get another outdrive...it will be faster than trying to fit a different engine. the higher ratio didn't do anything to hurt the current engine....

a V-6 would be the viable replacement if you want 'more'. as far as the outdrives go, the big difference is the gear ratio in the upper, the lower is the same across the standard production units, within a given generation.

Ayuh,....... Just slap another 1.98:1 ratio outdrive on it, 'n go boatin',.......

The 170 hp motor is Not anything you want, the infamous 470,....
The outdrive from the 470 would work, 'n be right for the 160 hp, but you'll have to re-prop it with a smaller pitch,....

An MC-1, or Alpha 1 up to 1990 should bolt on, 'n run just fine,.......
One for the 120/ 140 hp motors, which is 1.98:1 ratio, or the 470, 'n 160/ 165 hp motors which is 1.84:1 ratio will work,.....

So if I'm keeping the 160, I should be looking for a 1.84:1 and not a 198:1, correct?

Cheers and thanks,
Rob

Ayuh,....... Just slap another 1.98:1 ratio outdrive on it, 'n go boatin',.......

The 170 hp motor is Not anything you want, the infamous 470,....
The outdrive from the 470 would work, 'n be right for the 160 hp, but you'll have to re-prop it with a smaller pitch,....

An MC-1, or Alpha 1 up to 1990 should bolt on, 'n run just fine,.......
One for the 120/ 140 hp motors, which is 1.98:1 ratio, or the 470, 'n 160/ 165 hp motors which is 1.84:1 ratio will work,.....

the problem that happened is that a pin-hole developed in the prop gear housing / lower unit.

if the drive isnt damaged internally, have the outdrive inspected to see if its reasonably sound and is not eaten up with corrosion, and if its still in decent shape, have the hole welded closed so it will hold oil in and water out.... its going to be the cheapest and quickest way to get the boat operational again....

these parts are cast aluminum and in the process of casting, any particle of contaminate can cause a void(s) to develop..... its very rare for this to happen, but it can, and in time it can cause a problem.. if caught in time, it can be repaired with complete success.... electrolysis is another issue that causes pinholes and welding is not usually a viable repair for, as it almost always affects the entire piece of metal with potential pinholes and a weakening of the entire part....

Everyone will probably jump all over me for this but if it were me, I would touch up that area with a Dremel and clean it extremely well so that there's no oil contamination then fill the hole with JB Weld. If that's the only problem, that is.

Back