Logo

VolvoPenta double bearing box to gear housing seal

JohnyLingo

I was wondering if you are supposed to put permatex between the shims as well as between the gear housing and the input gear box? the manual calls for permatex #3 to be on each side of the gearbox and double bearing box.

I was wondering if you are supposed to put permatex between the shims as well as between the gear housing and the input gear box? the manual calls for permatex #3 to be on each side of the gearbox and double bearing box.

That would be for the shims and O-rings on either side of the Pre-A transmission all steel bearing box collar.

For the Pre-A transmission, along with new OEM O-rings, I have always used QuickSilver "Perfect Seal" in this area, although the Permatex #3 will work.
This area is considered to be a "wet" area, and we want to prevent water intrusion and protect the shims from corrosion.

For any "A" and later transmission, the bearing box is aluminum and is integral with the clamping collar.
These shims are the gasket style and do not require any sealant in this area.

However, you will want to coat the cap screw threads with Perfect Seal or Permatex #3.

Thanks Ricardo. Another thing I was wondering during my ujoint replacement and bearing box maintenance, is why do you replace the screw on the input gear instead of reusing it when you set the rolling torque with the crush sleeve? just curious? must stretch or something.

Thanks Ricardo. Another thing I was wondering during my ujoint replacement and bearing box maintenance, is why do you replace the screw on the input gear instead of reusing it when you set the rolling torque with the crush sleeve? just curious? must stretch or something.

I think that the engineers don't want to risk bolt failure in the event that the bolt may have stretched.
I have re-used that bolt many times and with no issues.

By the way, if your bearing pre-load is crush sleeve controlled (aka pre-tension sleeve, as apposed to shim controlled), you will have an "A" transmission.
Anything Pre-A will be shim controlled.

Back