Logo

Hello totally confused where to start

Fastribs85

Hello everyone I have an older 9.9 mariner that has no serial number tag. I know it says it was made in Japan and believe these were by Yamaha. I need to find a lower unit but have no idea what will fit other then I know the 15 was the same as the 9.9. My other question is will a short shaft fit (I know it's a long and I don't need a long) if I replace lower and will a Yamaha lower fit or will a US built lower fit
Only number I found was on the freeze plug 551505

Last edited:
If it's a Yamaha built Mariner then the 15 is "not" the same as the 9.9 - that is true with Mercury/Mariners not the Yamaha Mariners.

The 9.9 Yami/Mariner was based on a "single" model year and was mechanically identical to "ONLY" the 1978 Yamaha Model 9.9B

Yamaha built a different model (the 9.9C) from part way through the 1978 season until the 1980's, so the 9.9B was orphaned in the very year it was produced - Except for Merc - Yami continued to produce the 9.9B for Merc who sold it as the Mariner 9.9 "C" model, just to confuse things, until 1986.

So while the Mariner was only available as the "C" model it was mechanically the "Yamaha B Model" while a C model Yami existed that was mechanically different. This is important because Yami C model parts will NOT fit a Mariner C model motor.

With that aside you can swap between short and long shaft lower units. You would require the "entire unit" including the driveshaft and the water tube as well as the gearcase/guts. Trying to source OEM parts on this model is super difficult (been discontinued for almost 35 years and is "mechanically" 52 years old) so, finding a complete unit "with" the water tube in particular would be super important.

Personally I would not invest much into this particular model. An impeller for this is over 30 bucks, you can't get a whole kit at all anymore and for a "limited" carb kit (still contains what is available) goes for somewhat over 100 bucks. Those two items alone are probably equal to the total value of the motor.

However, if you are set on repairing it, at least because there was only a single model style that never changed over it's lifespan ANY parts from any other 9.9 C Model Mariner will be a direct swap.

Back