Logo

Bravo 0ne drive shaft bearing torque (OL 762931)

TomV

I removed the drive shaft bearings on my Bravo one drive shaft and not sure what torque to use. I think I have the old style drive with spacer in between bearings and four slots in face of spacer. I think I supposed to set the nut torque at 70-80 ft lbs. When I do the bearing don't spin very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the input shaft on the upper unit? Are you tightening the nut that holds the bearing stack? You are supposed to set that to a rolling torque. The values are different for a new bearing and a used bearing. No where near 70 lbs.

Yes I am talking about the 15/16 nut that holds the bearing set on the drive shaft at the top of the drive. Did I damage the bearing by over tightening? I assume that is supposed to be set to 5 inch lbs of rolling resistence?

that one sets the preload in the bearing set...3 - 6 in*lbs of rolling resistance for used bearings.

as far as damage - not likely but only you can tell...if the shaft spins smoothly once the preload is set you are likely to be ok...

I cant say for Bravo, but what you decsribe did occur for Alpha drives. The ujoint bearing assembly was torqued to 65 ish ft lbs with large spacer and with assemblies with small spacer it went to rolling torque. All Apla one Gen II I believe is rolling also.

here is the Bravo 1 information from the manual. NO mention of spacer or high torque settings at all.

Bravo ujojnt bearing preload.jpg

Back