Logo

50 hp honda high rpms stops peeing and over heats.

Bobbys

Hey changed water pump on a 50 hp 4 stroke motor . At lower rpms motor runs great around 4000 rpm water starts to pee less making it over heat and shut down. Have changed impeller and flushed it both ways with water and air but still got blockage somewhere. Can ride for hours at 3,800. Rpm but nothing above it for minutes. Any suggestions for fixing it or problems?

You'll need to remove the timing belt cover (4 bolts). Then, looking down on top of the motor, with the starter at 12 o-clock, the t-stat will be located at about 7 or 8. 2 bolts hold it in place, and I can guarantee you're going to need a new gasket to look. If this is an older motor, you may as well get a t-stat and gasket on order with plans to just replace the t-stat.

Is this motor used in salt water?
When you replaced the pump, we're all of the vanes intact, or were some missing?

Just took t stat out and put in boiling water. It opens and closes fine. I think the boat was used in saltwater before I got it. I blew through t stat hole and air comes out of where it pees at. Was wondering if I could shoot some air through it to see if anything comes out? Impeller was missing a few blades when I took it down. That's why I figured it's trash somewhere now. Have a t stat ordered and guess it won't hurt to just put a new one on it since it's tore down.

Back