Logo

Analog to digital conversion pipe dream?

Hopffc2003

Ok guys pardon the long post.

I have twin 454 crusaders model 350’s in a 1967 34 hatteras conv. Judging by the serial #s 57760 & 57763 I believe there 1986. They are both carbed. Im looking to add a multi function display such as Raymarine Axiom pro 12 or another type display. Im open to options on that so issue is my engines are analog using the obvious analog guages. There are companies out there like fox-marine or noland engineering who make analog to digital conversion boxes. Then to a gateway that works with nmea 2000 etc which is the end goal. Allowing me to remove some guages or use guages as a secondary and view rpms and other engine data on a touch screen digitally.

Now i was told by fox-marine there converters work on crusader engines that are TBI or mpi not carbed. Noland has a unit that would work but each individual component must be wired from itself to the converter. Example oil pressure sender etc. and it still may be limited or unreliable and difficult to install. So question is has anyone done or attempted this? Or know of a conversion that may work. Lastly is it possible or more feasible to change carbed 454 to tbi or mpi? Which route would be most cost effective etc.

Thanks, Joh

You can switch the carb to one form of EFI but it won't be cheap....even going used. and I'd suspect you want to go the MEFI route as opposed to some other controller.

As far as the magic box, I can't say I've have seen one product that is turn-key. If you are hellbent on going digital, I'd contact the local STEM coordinator and see if you couldn't get it done as a project. There are off the shelf micro controllers with built in ADCs (in many configurations) and it wouldn't take too long to get it up and running....especially if they have the programming tools. They could probably make use of a wireless module and you could just use your phone for the digital stuff....

Back