Logo

Lower assembly reinstall goes ? Reference a 1969, 105 HP, M #10573, S# 2418

larry58v

I have taken the lower assembly apart as it had water in the oil, and am replacing the seals and going a general clean up. When trying to assemble the power head to the pump section, I can not seem to convince the pump section to set fully down on the power head. I don't want to be assault either section with a hammer, so what is the trick to getting it to slide into place?, the shaft turns freely and it is apparent that the drive gear is not contacting the driven gear at the point the assembly stops and refuses to slip into place. I have three different books on the Chrysler 105 HP motor, and none say anything exceptional about the reassembly of the two units. In fact it seems rather straight forward when i read about it. I am not a boat guy, but I have assembled a lot of engines, gear sets and axle bearings in my life so I thought this might be possible without going to a new school.

You said, """When trying to assemble the power head to the pump section, I can not seem to convince the pump section to set fully down on the power head"""

This for an outboard?
The pump should be on the driveshaft on top of the lower unit.
Maybe it's something I've never seen??

How about a few pics.
You might need to re-size the pics to post?
Or use a photo sharing site, Photoshop or Shutterfly etc.

I have not been able to post photo's, I am sure its something to do with my computer as it says select and then install photo's and I come up with only blank space below my text. So here goes. It is an outboard motor, a 1969 to be exact. I have cleaned things up and I am now determined to try and torque the units together as I have decided that the front shaft is mounted with an alignment shaft which is what is to tight to do a standard drop into place. I should have done this initially but it came apart rather easily (in my opinion) so I made a rather bad judgement that it was looser fitting than is reality. I assure you this is not an unusual motor, just an old guy who doesn't know the proper terminology for the parts he's working with. The O-ring gasket is interesting to keep in place as I attempt to install the two units. I have finally decided to hold it in the ring with scotch tape which should be dissolved shortly after the install and won't interfere with operations.
Once more the insert photo's did not work.
I guess I need to go to the school as to how to follow instructions.. Sorry

Ahh the ole 2 piece unit...PIA.. To hold o-ring in place..use a sticky grease and heat o-ring in hot water till pliable and easily shaped. Last one I did yearsssss ago found it was easier to do upside down.

Last edited:
Back