Logo

1987 Alpha One, cable adjustment woes.

Shawn070

Hello Everyone,

I can't seem to get this thing adjusted right. I have installed a brand new lower cable kit, and before I put the out drive back on the cable ran in and out nice and smooth. Both cables free play and travel is within spec. When I adjust the cables according to the procedure, then take it to Neutral the prop free spins nicely with no ratcheting. Go to reverse and the prop locks up nice when spinning the prop CLOCKWISE. Shift back to FWD and the prop free spins like it's in neutral with no prop lock up spinning it COUNTER CLOCKWISE. I have played with the adjustment all day with no results. I have even pulled the Lower unit off and checked to make sure the splined shaft was clocked full CLOCKWISE and the shoe was fully at 12 O'Clock when I installed the lower unit. I can remove the lower shift cable and while having another person spin the prop in the appropriate direction for the gear selected the lower unit works fine. But put it all back according to the procedure and it doesn't work. I'm all out of ideas, so I thought I would tap the infinite wisdom here.

Thanks so much in advance

When only shifting with the bronze shift arm, when the arm is "clocked" s you put it fully clock wise where is it pointing?

Is it 100% straight forward (12:00)

When in full reverse where is the bronze shift arm pointing?

What procedure?

Last edited:
I adjusted it like this, shift into fwd, measured 6 inches from barrel to the center of the hole in the cable end, with the lower shift cable fully pushed in to the fwd gear position. Installed lower cable. Control box shift cable was adjusted moving the barrel so the cable exactly fit onto the bracket, then turned the barrel four complete turns away from the cable end. When the lower unit is fully in the forward postition the shoe is pointing exactly at 12 O'Clock. I will go back out here and look at the position in reverse.

On the shift bracket where the short cable mounts. There is a slot with a stud and a 7/16 hex at bottom. Where in slot is the stud? All the way to one end or the other?
Also, when you installed the long threaded steel tune into the cable end (engine side) did you confirm it was tightened/seated as far into the cable as possible?

Last edited:
I have the stud in the bracket for the lower shift cable all the way to the bottom. I'm pretty sure installed the threaded tube all the way but I will go check it right now.
I made a quick video I'll post the link when it uploads to the tube. In Fwd gear right now the shoe is not at 12 O'clock,

I checked the threaded tube again, it is all the way seated and lock nut tight. I just tried adjusting them again exactly the same way. Now I don't have any gear, No FWD or REV. LOL this thing is a trip.

I just wanted to update this thread to post the fix. I finally got it straightened out. A HUGE thank you to Kghost for all his help. This thing had a few things wrong. First off I didn't thread the cable nut into the bell housing far enough. The shift lever roller was badly worn, and the wrong steel washer and rubber washer was installed on the Splined shift shaft on the lower unit, this was putting the whole set up in a bind and making it VERY hard to turn. After I got all the new parts installed. I adjusted the cables ONE time and that was it. She shifts great now and all is well. Again, THANK YOU KGHOST!!!

Back