Logo

Update on the old AQ130

JimA82

Regular Contributor
So it's been awhile, thought I would give you an update. I ended up tearing the head off last fall then put the project on hold. I cleaned a ton of slag bits I guess out of the water pasages, never did get that drain to work but it does drip faster then it did, just plugged it off. Gotta be a major plug in there somewhere.

Last month I had the head/exhaust side resurfaced and installed new valves, the seats he thought were fine. The machine shop guy was pretty sure I had a blown head gasket. Not sure how the motor ran like it did other then the water in the oil. He helped me resurface the block, I ordered all new gaskets and O-rings/new seals for the water pump, replaced the thermostat also The gasket for fuel pump and rotor shaft were gone so I replaced them. Cleaned the top of the pistons, and the cylinder walls looked pretty good.

After a bit of priming it fired right up to my surprise and actually ran really good. I also added new plugs/wires new dist & coil added a Pertronics electronic ignition. I ran it for about an hour or so drained the oil and it looked fine, so fingers crossed the water in the oil problem is taken care of!

I probably should have rebuilt the entire engine, and doing what I have done so far believe I could do it. But it's a spendy venture. Anyhoo thanks again for the help here I did appreciate it! Here are a couple before and after pics, can't believe how crappy it looked from how it looks now.

Thanks again! Jim

Attachments

• F9GWcKx.png
    F9GWcKx.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • mNtvRoW.png
    mNtvRoW.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • SPWRrW.jpg
    SPWRrW.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks Bob! Weather took a bit of a turn up here, and I went back to work. Was hoping to get out tomorrow but it's supposed to rain hard. Summers gotta coming at some point.

Back