Logo

Engine miss and new rattle developed in exhaust manifold

Thanks, appreciate the help! I do feel the frustration of not being on the water. I think the original timing mark is very close.
Close only counts in "Horse Shoes" and "Grenades".

While getting a feel for the procedure, I found that after turning CCW, my crank bolt would loosen and I had trouble turning the engine.
That is only one reason for NEVER using the center crankshaft bolt.

I've called a couple of my go to auto mechanics to find shops with distributor machines and no luck so far. I'll keep looking...
Yes, keep looking...... it may not be easy, but you will find one!

While getting a feel for the procedure, I found that after turning CCW, my crank bolt would loosen and I had trouble turning the engine.
That is only one reason for NEVER using the center crankshaft bo.....
Yeah lesson learned. My thought was to get some 6” bolts to put in pulley holes but local hardware ware store was closed for holidays. I may try again next time out. I noticed that in the CCW rotation as I approach the stop there is a spot about 40 degrees out the motor becomes harder to turn not it’s not hitting the stop. It was however enough to create enough resistance that I kept losenng my bolt. Got very frustrating. The right tools and techniques make all the difference.

I checked into a mechanic to come as I can’t move the boat off the lake. I’ll press on a little more, their pretty expensive. I do appreciate the assist. I have certainly learned a great deal about the ignition system. Pretty interesting.

Thought I’d close the loop on this one. Problem resolved with replacement of coil, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. I suspect the root cause was cap or rotor. thanks for the help.

Thought I’d close the loop on this one. Problem resolved with replacement of coil, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. I suspect the root cause was cap or rotor. thanks for the help.

All due respect to you.... but please explain how a new ignition coil, new distributor cap, new rotor and new plug wires can correct an advancing issue.

I was closing the loop for benefit of future readers. My original post contained two problems

1) Rattle -Resolved by replacing starter.
2)Engine Miss -The engine miss was resolved by the parts I replaced.

I think I allowed my self to go down a rabbit hole on the timing discussion. My lack of knowledge on the whole timing issue resulted in over-thinking. I spent a lot of time trying to determine TDC, in the end, after I eliminated the engine miss I was able to confidently set base at 8 BTDC and observed TA ~30 BTC which is right where the OEM manual said it would be. It may not be perfect but the boat is running great after one weekend. Its possible the balancer has slipped a bit but apart from one back fire when I first took it out its been running great in the water at idle and at WOT.

I think the old adage applies here, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I should have started with the the distributor cap and rotor, and it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. I did learn a lot about the entire process of ignition and timing through this; however.

Perhaps after the season I'll try the PPS method again to confirm my timing mark; however I really don't think I should dig back into it if its working now. If timing is off, I don't think its by much.

Thanks for the input, I'm sure we'll converse again.

Last edited:
Back