Logo

BF 200 no power

Today when I put the batteries back in the boat and went to fire up my BF 200, there was no power to the motor. Turn the key and the trim tabs actuate as usual, but no lights on the throttle. No power to starter, or tilt/trim. Kicker and all other electronics seem to have power. I checked fuse 3,4,& 6, and they seem good. Any ideas where to go from here? I feel like I will need to bring my multi meter...
Thanks in advance

Geoff Cunard

I confirmed all systems have power except the main. With battery switch on, if I touch the tilt switch, the trim tabs initialize, just like they do when I turn the key to the on position. Anybody? Chawk, JGMO?

Check fuse #7 - the 30 amp one on the right as you face the fuse box. That's the starter relay fuse among other things. Also recheck fuses 3 & 5 thoroughly.

You are likely using a battery switch. If so, rotate it a bunch of times. If that doesn't fix the problem, temporarily bypass it. You said "Kicker and all other electronics seem to have power." Does that power come out of the battery switch or are they wired off of a separate bus?

If your trim tabs have a separate ground wire going to the battery or battery switch, then you may have a problem with the ground to the engine frame. Check that thoroughly. Consider using an auto jumper cable directly from the battery negative to a good ground on the engine. If that works, then you know the problem is somewhere in the ground wires.

Next, check the positive wiring from the battery or battery switch. I don't remember exactly how it is set up, but there are separate positive wires going to the PGM FI main relay. If you have access to a Helm shop manual, page 5-16 takes you through the procedure for trouble-shooting the main relay. Here is a link to the manual...
http://planbmarine.com/wp-content/u...ice-workshop-and-repair-BF175A-BF200A-BF2.pdf

It's a PDF file, you you can save it to your computer.

I don't think you need my help....chawk_man's got ya covered!
I'm lurking though...as usual ;>)

Good hunting!

One other off-the-wall thought that happened to me many years ago. Somehow, grease got on to one of my battery terminals so even though the terminals were tightened down, it still did not make good contact until I degreased the terminals and connectors and sanded then until they were shiny.

Back