Logo

What battery do i need

7mm

Hello,

I was wondering what type and kind of battery i should get. I have a 1995 Evinrude 25hp outboard motor with electric start. I need to replace the battery as the old one is no good and has no markings on it. The only thing i use this battery for is to start the engine and i have my fish finder and bilge pump hooked to it. Do i just need a cranking battery or a deep cycle battery? what would be my best option.

Thanks everyone.

A group 27 battery should be plenty big enough.

A dual purpose battery that's rated for cranking and deep cycle is probably your best bet.

KJ

I have the same engine and a fish finder and use a group 24 marine starting battery from Walmart. It's heavy enough at 36lbs, a group 27 is bigger and heavier.

I’ve always had good luck with Interstate brand. I’ve used Walmart batteries and they don’t seem to last. I’ve always been able to get 5 years out of Interstates.

At the shop we used to sell nothing but interstate batterys, we have about 10, 24 series and 10 27 series and 10 jet ski batteries in stock. Sold them for 6 yrs. there customer service was crap. So 2 yrs. ago we changed to AC Delco with the green eye and haven't looked back.

No sealed or maintenance free batteries for that motor. You want to be able to check the levels because unregulated systems such as yours use the battery as the regulator. They tend to boil electrolyte out over time. You absolutely want something marine rated and a series 24 way more.than enough for what you are doing.

Back