Logo

1991 yam 50hp two stroke, at the end of my tether! Idling/rough running etc......

One speed

Hi all
i bought (in a rush due to lockdown etc) a 1991, 3 cylinder two stroke, DETO, got it home and it turns out the sellers idea of runs great is different to mine, ran on 1 cylinder , low compression on two out of the three cylinders etc. So....managed to find a powerhead second hand, good compression fitted that and it still ran on one, checked the coils and the reading were out of spec and the HT leads corroded as it was a saltwater engine, ordered three new coils fitted them and still ran on one, checked the CDI, it's toast, new CDi ordered, now when I start the engine she is running on three but once the choke circuit stops it just stalls out. I have now cleaned the carbs twice so sure they are good, all adjustments seem to be as the manual, another strange thing is if I back out the air pilot screws it runs better, seems 3 full turns out is the sweet spot) obviously this is way out of what Yamaha recommends (1 1/4 out) and even then it still lumps over and stalls out eventually. Carb butterfly's adjusted as per manual, while running on the choke circuit its roughly 5 Deg before tdc and once it drops into tickover circuit its 5 deg after tdc. I am sure I am missing something obvious, really annoyed as I have put in so much work(+money) and I seem to be getting nowhere- there are no outboard shops near me so would really appreciate any input and hopefully someone has an idea as I am stumped Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain the issue as well as I can.

Back