Logo

1999 mercruiser 3.0 click when trying to start

joshocala

I have a 1999 mercruiser 3.0 (on a sea ray 180) that clicks when it starts, after 5 to 15 attempts it will finally turn over.

It originally started 2 weekends ago when on the boat the ignition switch broke, i could turn the key all the way around. I was able to push it in and start it that day. The next day was Sunday and none available, we decided to go back on the boat. So it got to the point that the starter would no longer engage and I had to start it with a screw driver on the starter, which obviously got aggravating.

I also replaced the starter about 2 months ago, clicking wasn't the issue, it was just old and tired. I hadn't replaced that in 10 years.

So I replace the ignition switch thinking that's going to solve all of my issues, but i'm still left with the click and occasionally it'll start. I have double checked the connections and everything looks good and tight. The connectors were different and seemed less stout on the new ignition switch, but everything lined up the same.

Any guidance is greatly welcomed.

Soft clicking is the slave solenoid , locate the slave and jump the 2 large lugs, if starter works, replace slave solenoid

I actually just got in from swapping out the 2 month old new (not refurbished) starter. I took it into town, they tested it and then warrantied it. Life is better.

Back