Logo

Honda BF150 Oil sensor intermittent starting

excido

Hi Forum,
First, thanks for any help you can offer.

I have 2 x BF150s pushing a hurricane 735. BFs are 2002 with 1000hrs.

The stbd engine has begun to cut out intermittently and I think its an oil pressure sensor.

I have the dual engine key switch panel with 4 indicator lights on each panel. When the key is initially turned all 4 lights come on with two quick beeps and all lights go except the green oil pressure light (top right) staying on. Occasionally, when turned on, that light goes out and the engine won't start. I check oil level before each start and oil level is fine. When the light goes out and it won't start, I remove the cover, and check the oil and then the light will stay on during the next ignition cycle and the engine starts. The frequency of this happening is increasing.

Always change oil at 100 hrs and filters every 200 hours with Honda parts.

Can you please suggest a method of checking the engine oil sensor or any other suggestions.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Best

Excido

Under normal circumstances when you turn he key on you should get 2 beeps all lights on for 2 secs, then all off except the RED battery or alternator light. When you say it won't start, do you mean won't crank or cranks but won't run? Sounds like you may be chasing the wrong thing

Hi Lang,

Thanks for the reply. That describes what usually happens. Turn key, all lights on, then all go out except the red battery light. Then, when I start the engine, the red battery light goes out, and the green oil pressure light comes on and stays on. Now, intermittently - all lights on and the green light will stay on and the engine won't start. It turns over just fine but is being inhibited(?) by the oil pressure sensor? Then if I turn off and on a couple times, tilt the engine and do a little dance, it will operate normally when I turn the key (all lights on, two beeps, red battery stays on and green goes out until ignition and then the green light is on while engine is running. Sounds like a loose wire, but where do I begin checking?

To answer your question, the engine always cranks over just fine. When the lights indicate a normal operation (all lights on, then all go out except the red battery light) the engine will start no problem. If the green light doesn't go out - the engine won't start (turns over but does not start).

I have the Honda Digital Gauges Dual Electrical Diagram and have unplugged the replugged every plug available at the key switch panel (4 plugs/key = 8 total) and unplugged and replugged all of the wiring going into the digital tachometers (3 plugs/tach).

I have also taken off the low pressure oil sensor and swapped it with the other engine but that did nothing. The intermittent starting/lights problem is still there on the same engine.

The problem persists.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Excido

Also, I apologize, in my first post I made a mistake about the green light staying on when it does in fact go out during a "normal" ignition. Once the engine is running - it stays on for the duration. I believe my last message has the lighting description correct.

Thanks

I am guessing here. The fact that trimming up and down to "fix" this issue indicates an intermittent issue with the main engine harness. The quickest and easiest way to isolate this is by trying another harness connected between the engine and the ignition harness at the dash and see if it solves the problem, I suspect it will. You will therefore simply replace the harness in its entirety.

Back