Logo

1990 Yamaha 200 oil problem.

Sriso100

Hello everyone and I hope all of you are staying safe during this time. I’ll try to be as short and detailed as possible. My 1990 200 runs really good considering it’s age and appearance. Only issue it has is that it will not fill the motors tank from the auxiliary tank on the boat. The toggle switch does nothing. The gauge works as far as if it’s full it will show green and red on empty. Also if the motor tank gets to the bottom line the alarm sounds and reduces RPM to 2000. I’ve emptied the tank and cleaned it. (No sludge). Also replace little white filter and verified it’s orientation. I took the pump off the boat and wired it to 12 volts. At first nothing happened. Gave it a little tap with a hammer and it turns on every time. Still doesn’t move oil. I hooked it up and figured let me power the pump again and the pump runs but still no oil. I even took the cover off the pump while unhooked and both little gears spin. I then figured maybe the oil lines to the tank are clogged. Blew with compressed air and were not clogged. So why no oil transfer?? My question is what else could be wrong. If I buy a new pump should I expect it to work when the current one runs and both gears spin?? Maybe they’re not spinning fast enough. It’s annoying to have to fill the boat with oil while trying not to spill it when the boats rocking in the waves. Also I know the trim affects the pump on this motor if it’s trimmed up the pump won’t run. While The gauge doesn’t work it does show its trimmed down and I don’t think that affects me manually powering the pump. Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any suggestions.

If the pump is running, but not pumping oil, that is a pretty darn good indication that the pump is defective. Kaput.

Original pump? Lucky to have lasted as long as it has.

Now when the new pump is installed and it does not work with the toggle switch, then it is either a lack of power to the pump or a bad ground to the pump.

Back