Logo

MD1B with Mono shift reverse gear help

PeBee

I recently acquired a nice little 18ft day boat fitted with an MD1B engine and MS reverse gear. This is obviously an old engine but it starts well and pushes the boat along nicely driving a 13" prop.

Unfortunately the MS gearbox has sprung an oil leak from the prop shaft seal, not a big one but enough to coat the underside of the deck boards and the bilge with a fine coat of oil. I've rigged up a plastic cowl to catch the spraying oil until I can get it sorted.

I'd be most grateful for some advice on this: Firstly, on investigation I can't find any reference to the MD1B engine being married to an MS reverse gearbox. All the MD1B references I've found, including its workshop manual, say that it is fitted with the Volvo RB reduction/reverse gearbox. So is it possible that my engine has been modified at some time in its past by having the MS gearbox fitted? Secondly, there happens to be a Volvo RB reduction/reverse gearbox for sale fairly locally. Can this be 'dropped in' in place of the MS gearbox? Lastly, would it help to slow the leak if the MS gearbox was filled with SAE 80/90 gear oil temporarily instead of the SAE 20 engine oil it normally uses?

Thanks, and I hope there are some MD1B afficionados out there who can offer some thoughts.....!

Back