Logo

MFS6CD no fuel to Cylinder

Hi and thanks for the help. I have a 6HP tohatsu MFS6CD about 5 years old. ran fine last year. this year no fuel to sparkplug. I pulled the fuel pump and it works fine. when I use starter fluid in the intake it pisses gas out of one of the 2 hoses coming off the carburetor going out of the bottom of the engine. I changed the plug and there wasnt a whiff of fuel on the old plug. If I spray starter fluid into the cylinder it runs until spent.
Opened the carb and cleaned everything. seemed all okay. a new carb is 140$ so I dont want to just guess at that. Spark indicator flashes that its getting spark. Any ideas?
Thanks much

Those are overflow vent tubes, so that shows the carb is flooded.
You may have bad gas. I would make sure the carb is getting fuel (not water or other crud) and thst it is not flooding.

Thanks Paul for the help and quick reply. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. turns out the needle valve was stuck solid. i cleaned that and it the valve and float work fine now so no more flooding. That said it still wont start. I would suspect the plug but it kicks over on starter fluid. I think from one of your earlier suggestions that the jet may be not working? If I can isolate the problem to the carb in your expert opinion I will just buy a new one and replace it.
As for bad gas. I have new gas in the tank and also ran it off an external tank and flipped the toggle on the side accordingly.
Thanks for the help

Thanks Paul. Turns out the jet was completely closed with calcium. I saw on another post you suggested counting the number of turns when removing the jet. This jet was completely snugged (6 full turns). When I cleaned everything the engine ran well but no horsepower. If I increase the throttle it gives just a bit more power but not close to the 6HP. Would that be the Jet or the float? I set the float as you recommended- level with the bowl when removed. Also the lean/rich screw does nothing when closed or backed open. I am trying to avoid getting a new carb but this one has its issues.
Thanks again

Which jet was closed off? The main jet down in the bowl? The pilot screw (rich/lean idle) should be out about 2 turns to start. Sounds like still crud in the carb. If just organics from fuel, a dunk in real carb dip, followed by a liberal spary out with acetone type cleaner may help. If corrosion, an acid is needed... probably need to just replace the carb. If you do, get the one for the 6A2, as it will idle better than the one for the 6C.

Back