Logo

BF135 bent prop shaft

rockford

Hello all, I need some help.
We were running a lake and hit a rock shoal and did some damage to lower unit :mad:. The biggest issue is the prop shaft is bent and has a distinct wobble. I have ordered parts but I can't seem to get the prop shaft out to assess damage. My main question is does the shift shaft need to be removed to pull the prop shaft / lower gears? I can get shaft and housing partly out but hangs up and seems to be stuck on the shift shaft and I don't know if it is because of damage or that is how it is designed.

Second question is the level of difficulty of rebuilding the gears on a new shaft. I have a service manual on the way but are any special tools required to rebuild the gears and clutch dog?

Thanks in advance and I may have more questions as I get further into the project. I would usually take it to a professional mechanic but most are working on limited service so I am attempting it on my own.

Firstly, yes, you need to remove the shift shaft. Rebuilding with no experience or special tools, don't waste your time or money, if they are not shimmed and meshed correctly you will be doing it all again very soon. I will be very surprised if you need anything other than a new propshaft and seals.If you are only replacing the propshaft then no special tools are required, simply fit the dog clutch assembly to the new shaft and be careful not to lose the inter lock balls and spring, read your manual carefully and familiarise yourself with the procedure before you start.

Back