Logo

Oxygen Sensor Experience

FlowThru1

I have read many helpful threads on this site. I want to pass on my experience with HO2 sensors in case it can help someone.

I've accepted having to replace the HO2 sensor annually. I'm now ok with it given that I can use an after market sensor with the same performance as the OEM, for about half the price.

I have a 2017 BF250 with about 340 hours on it. Early in every boating season (after sitting for 3 months over the winter) I get a fault code that points to the HO2 sensor. I change the sensor and all is good until the next season.

So when my sensor failed at the beginning of last season, I installed the aftermarket sensor. It's from Walker (walkerproducts.com) Model # 932-24008. I had read about it on this site.

So here I am one year later and it's time to replace the sensor again. So what this tells me is that there is not a downside to using the walker product. It performed the same and lasted as long as the Honda product. And, it's a fraction of the cost.

I've heard that the newer Honda models have eliminated oxygen sensors. However, I'm still happy with my repower choice at the time. Looking at the big picture, I've enjoyed reliability and performance for the past few seasons and expect many good years ahead.

Sensor on the left in the pictures is the used Honda (gray covering). Sensor on the right is a new Walker (black covering).

Slight physical difference. The Honda does not have a hole in the tip of the sensor. The Walker does have a hole in the tip of the sensor and extra holes on the side of the sensor

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_065442.jpg
    IMG_20190720_065442.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20190720_065954.jpg
    IMG_20190720_065954.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20190720_065339.jpg
    IMG_20190720_065339.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 60
Flowthru - thanks for that post. And that is a real cost difference - $288 for the Honda and $98 for the walker.

Does anyone know what year Honda eliminated the HO2 sensor on the BF 250?

In case anyone is interested, I have a few theories on why the sensors may be failing based on how I use the boat. I'm not a mechanic by trade but I do like to tinker. Theses are just ideas and there may be no validity to them.

Theory 1:
I've read that backing down could force seawater into the exhaust which then turns to steam and reaches the sensor. We use our boat for diving. When the dive is over, we tie a piece of sisal between the wreck and our anchor line. The sisal keeps us attached to the wreck until everyone is safely back on the boat. We then back down hard to break the sisal. We back down instead of going forward as a precaution to keep the anchor line out of the prop.

Theory 2:
The sensor seems to work fine up to winterizing the motor. I fog the motor as part of the winterization process. I wonder if that extra fog oil is somehow affecting the sensor ? I've toyed with the idea of not fogging one season just to see if it made a difference. But it the end, I always chicken out and fog it.

Stay healthy and Good boating !

Flow, I´m in the same position as you are. I have to replace them on my twins at the beginning of each season and I do not fog the engines so you can eliminate Theory 2. I also use Walkers, they give as you say the same result as the originals. At the end of this season I may try another approach and remove and cap the sensors

I bought my 2013 BF250A brand new in 2013. I went a little over 5 years with no O2 sensor issues. But about a year earlier I started modifying the way I do things with the boat, and I am wondering if, based on what everyone else is saying here, it might have contributed to me having to replace the O2 sensor at 5.5 years and now again at 7.5 years.

I used to putt-putt out the channel for about 15 minutes at idle, then rev up to 4500-5500 rpms for anywhere from 30-60 minutes. Get to the spot, anchor, shut off engine for an hour or more to dive, fish, etc. Then do it again (this time for about 15-30 minutes), rinse repeat most of the day and then head back in at 4500-5500 rpms for an hour.

But about 4.5 years ago I stopped anchoring and would drop my divers on their spots and then idle around for an hour chasing bubbles. Pop up on plane to our next spot, do it again. So for 8+ hours all day the Honda was mostly at idle. It was about a year after I started doing this full time that I had my first O2 sensor go. I replaced it, no issues for another 2 years, and then recently it threw the code again.

Wish I had known about the Walkers as it would have saved me $100, but we will see if I can get another 2 years out of this one. I may also try doing less idling and more anchoring again and see if this helps.\

I just run at idle to exit and enter marinas or anchoring spots, rest of the time I run at my fuel optimum which is 3400-3600. It is a shame that nobody makes exhaust covers, I may make my own with silicon or something similar to see if that makes a change.

Blacktimes, Thanks for eliminating the fogging oil theory and sharing the rest of the info.

Boats.net now has a Honda sensor that is cheaper than the walker. I believe it's the same sensor, just a different stock number. I have been using the new stock number one for about 12 months now.

06356-zy3-307 new number

35655-zy3-c01 orig number

Is the need to change these sensors only happening after sitting over the winter season? It may be the combustion gas residue hardening up in storage? Try soaking it in acetone, running the engine off a tank with a high content of say seafoam, cleaning with a brake cleaner spray ( if that is not harmful)? Seems crazy that a sensor is a maintenance item annually.

That is really strange that they still show the $220 O2 sensor (which I ordered last week) and now show a $60 one as well - argh! Why the sudden difference? Did they simply discover that the automobile version lasts just as "long" as the marine version? New supplier from China? Kind of frustrating.

Just joined the forum and finally hit on this thread! Outstanding info. Just had my O2 sensor replaced by the dealer, however before I went I put in a Walker and ran it for about two hours and it worked perfect, then I put back in the bad Honda sensor just before I went to the dealer. The computer showed the alarm was caused by a bad sensor and they replaced it under warranty. I now have the Walker as a backup. I'm now going to check out "FlowThru1"'s info on the Honda sensor substitute. Takes five minutes to replace and I want a spare on the boat with a 14mm wrench!! :)

Just went through that with Boats.net. Ordered the $60 one but when I followed on fitment with them to confirm, they did not have any info on the $60 and said that I would have to order the more expensive one. Strange.

Update-just received an email from Boats.net and was told indeed that was the right O2 sensor from my 225. Don't know what to believe now.

Well I've been using the Walker sensors for a few years now and they're fine - half the cost of the original Honda part with what seems to be the same lifespan.

Is the need to change these sensors only happening after sitting over the winter season?
I wondered that so this winter I ran my 225 in a 750L tank of water for about 40 mins every 3 weeks or so - the idea was to keep the internals lubricated but also to see if the sensor lasted any differently. The last time I ran it I got the sensor alarm - so maybe it doesn't make a difference.

My theory is that as the sensor has a heating element in it [to compensate for when the engine is cold and the exhaust isn't creating enough heat to get the sensor up to temperature] by running at idle a lot makes the element work harder and eventually dies causing the alarm.
This may not be the case but I'd LOVE to know just what actually is failing!

Anyway, I'm going to order one of the 'new' Honda parts and see what happens. Over in the UK it's £60 which isn't too bad compared to the cost of a high pressure fuel filter :mad:

So a week ago I put the boat in the water and although the existing Walker O2 sensor was OK for the first day I then started getting the error - so this one has lasted about 12 months.... maybe a little more.
As i had already bought the new (£/60) Honda sensor I put that in while on the water and all is good again!
TBH I think at $60 it's not such a big issue now - I could do without it but at least the fix price isn't too high.

Hopefully this one will last as long as the others.

I also have to change O2 sensors frequently. First with my 2006 honda 225s and now with my 2015/2016 honda 225s. I have a worldcat 27te and think maybe the engines are mounted too low. Not enough space between the exhaust opening and the water surface. So 2 winters ago I had the engines moved up 2 holes to see if it makes a difference. Before I was getting about a 1-2 years out of each o2 sensor. Now I get about 2 years. That was the first time I want an entire year without replacing at least 1 o2 sensor.. but this year I already had to do one, and just got the alarm on the other so it will get changed soon. So it may have made a difference.. but the boat handled better before so I may drop them down again next winter.
I was looking at the cheaper versions. Amazon has https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Sensor-200-225-Outboard-35655-ZY3-013/dp/B072TW9HJ2?th=1 one for $28.79. Do you think it is worth a try? Getting tired of spending the big bucks on something that doesn't last long. Is that the right model?

Oops - just checked and it says for 2002-2007... might are 2015 and 2016... which sensors do I use?

As referenced before, Walker 932-24008 works good. I have a spare, with 14mm wrench, in a zip-lock on the boat now at all times. Very easy to replace.

As referenced before, Walker 932-24008 works good. I have a spare, with 14mm wrench, in a zip-lock on the boat now at all times. Very easy to replace.

I just installed the Walker O2 sensor yesterday. Used it for about 3 hours and it seems to work perfectly! No alarms!
Thanks.
Will buy another as a spare and keep it on board. It was so easy to replace.

There's a few people on here who seem to have missed the fact that the "new" Honda O2 sensor (06356-zy3-307) costs 40% less than the walker one!!

There's a few people on here who seem to have missed the fact that the "new" Honda O2 sensor (06356-zy3-307) costs 40% less than the walker one!!

This new Honda sensor that is cheaper is the smaller style made for 2008 and up models? And I wonder how it got so cheap all the sudden????

This new Honda sensor that is cheaper is the smaller style made for 2008 and up models? And I wonder how it got so cheap all the sudden????

Yep it's the smaller style. I suspect that Honda were simply making a massive margin on the fact that it said "marine" on the label - O2 sensors are not expensive and the 200/225/250 are based on an automotive engine after all.
Maybe they grew a conscience!

If mine fails within the usual 12 months I'll let everyone know ..... but I doubt it.

Back