Logo

Alpha 1 O/D will not go down. TRIED EVERYTHING

Hi All,

This is my first post here. This is a great forum and it has taught me a lot. I have searched this forum so much but still can not fix my problem. I have a 2010 mercruiser alpha 1 o/d on a 19ft bayliner bowrider. About 2 years ago the the trim indicator on the dash stopped working but the out-drive still went up and down fine. I would be able to hear the difference in the motor when it was all the way up or all the way down. Last season my drive got stuck in the up position. I winterized it and just started it up today. Luckily our winter was very mild.
Tried jumping on the o/d while pushing the trim button down - nothing
Replaced both solenoids - nothing
Filled up the tank with trim fluid - nothing

When i press the trim button up and down the motor runs but will not go down.
I tried to remove the hydrolic lines from the pump to switch them to see if I could get it down that way, the up hose (left side of the pump) quick connect came off fine. The right hose ( down) will not come off for anything. I'm assuming that's because its pressurized because the o/d is in the up position?

Am I doing anything wrong to try to get this hose off?

Is there anything else I can do?

All electrical connections seem to be working. I just starting to get frustrated. I don't want to blindly replace the whole pump/reservoir assembly or the cylinders if I don't need to do all of that.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

THANK YOU!!

Crack the lines on the ram and let the pressure out..

Thanks!
So I did that.... and nothing! The drive still did not go down

So I knocked the front pin out a little to remove the ram on the starboard side....still the O/D did not go down.

pulled the ram on the port side, and the O/D fell. Luckely I had it supported.

Looks like after all of that it was a bad ram! I ordered 2 new ones and new hoses.

Im having trouble removing the pin on the back of the O/D so I cant get the rams fully off......any suggestions????

Thanks so much!!!

try removing the nuts on the front pin, there is no need to remove the pins, just slide the ram off the pin.

I did that. Front pin is out. I just can’t slide off the rams. No matter how hard I try to pull....that’s why I was thinking of hammering the pin out with a long screw driver and hammer gently. That won’t even work and I don’t want to keep hitting it......

I did that. Front pin is out. I just can’t slide off the rams. No matter how hard I try to pull....that’s why I was thinking of hammering the pin out with a long screw driver and hammer gently. That won’t even work and I don’t want to keep hitting it......
That should work, maybe put a little heat where the pin goes through the housing too.

As this is a gen II
It has nylon bushings, E clips and thin SS washers.

The cross shafts should move easily but if not leave alone and pull rams off only.

The right hose ( down) will not come off for anything. I'm assuming that's because its pressurized because the o/d is in the up position?

Am I doing anything wrong to try to get this hose off?

Is there anything else I can do?
I suggested that you loosen the line on the ram to let out the pressure so you could switch the lines on the pump.

Back