Logo

Poorly re-wired et39?

rick carpenter

I have a motorguide et39 that the lower housing shaft boss got shattered. I got the new one in and studied the wiring to get familiar, but then labeled each connected pair with different color electrical tape. I know I got the right wires re-connected but I don't know if I did a good job. We have an older 2019 12v d/c marine battery. I had it charged on our new Noco Genius5 charger til the green light was flashing (so just under 100%). This combo took two people in a 12' suntracker about 100yds before it started to slow down. The fishing hole was further on, and we barely made it 150yds back with a tailwind.

I'm trying to narrow down whether it's the battery or my repair. Would poorly connected crimp connections not work at all or simply degrade the performance? I know very little about dc so how do I test the wires and at what setting on my dvm?

Thanks,
Rick

I don't like crimp connections especially for something under water! solder and shrink tube is always better! look for shrink tube with sealant inside, that will make the repair waterproof!

Thanks raddksn,

I didn't make it clear that all of my crimp connections were in the upper control unit. They replaced a combination of crimps and wire nuts from the factory. Those wires all had to be cut to replace the bottom housing. Rather than replace the wire nuts, I made them all crimps. I'm interested in what resistance those wires should have to see if that may indicate poor connections and if the wires are still good.

Back