Logo

IDing a motor

nvradtec

howdy

I am new to the forum, I just acquired an older Johnson, googling the model number goes nowhere and the normal parts sources can't find it in their databases, I think it is a 67 or 68 40hp Electramatic. The motor is relatively clean but does need some tlc, at this point mainly looking for a service/parts/owners manuals for it.

perhaps someone out there has more info

Model # RXL-24L
Serial # 2311185

Thanks a bunch
Steve

RXL is not a 40 HP motor nor is it an ELECTRAMATIC.--------Read / look at the model # again or post some pictures.----Yes I know what the motors of the 1960's look like.------A 68 model would have a lot of green on it.----Have 1 or 2 myself.----Your location ?-----RKL-24 would be a 1962 model 40 HP electramatic.

Last edited:
RXL is not a 40 HP motor nor is it an ELECTRAMATIC.--------Read / look at the model # again or post some pictures.----Yes I know what the motors of the 1960's look like.------A 68 model would have a lot of green on it.----Have 1 or 2 myself.----Your location ?-----RKL-24 would be a 1962 model 40 HP electramatic.

You are right, sir, it is a RKL-24L, i mis read the model number while it was laying down, I got it stood up and on the stand and re-read the tag,
sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks
Steve

Do you have the controls and electrical junction box ??-----I would do a complete evaluation before spending any money on it.-----And I mean COMPLETE.

no controls yet, the guy I got it from says they are in 1 of his dads storage units, he said it was running when it was pulled off the boat with a cracked hull, as far as he remembers, the motor has sat for 8 years, the lower unit oil will be changed as well as the dry rot wiring replaced, and perhaps a carb cleaning will be in order, motor is free, going to do a compression test tomorrow.

Thanks again
Steve

Back