Logo

2012 MFS30B Remote cable works for shifter but too short for throttle

I have an RC remote going to a Tohatsu 2012 MSF30B. The shifter cable connects fine however the throttle cable pulls the throttle drum from the dead idle position when connected. There is not enough thread on the on the cable ends or cable joint (short by almost 3/4". Is there a shifter cable clip bracket that would remedy this (an adapter) How can I get the extra length otherwise. Does it require a jury rig if so can anyone give me an idea how to do it. Thanks everyone

I just checked and the cables are offset in such a way as to match the offset of the mounting bracket offset. So I think they are in the right place (plus there is more slack/length on the throttle cable)

Do you know what the metric threaded rod spec is on the cable. Maybe I could order a threaded standoff and matching screw from a fastener supply company.

It's not metric. SAE. What if you use the other version of the cable joint, 3R0837150M? That's assuming you are currently using the 3B7837152M?

Last edited:
These cable joints were supplied with the conversion kit I bought previously. As for 3B7-83715-2M I can only find 3B7-83715-1. in the parts catalog
Is the 3B7-83715-2M longer?
As per 3R0-83715-0M I have the shift lever rod from the tiller shifter with one attached. I can't tell them apart they both seem to be the same length.

2012 parts catalogSerial Number 000001AB~
OB NO.002-21050-6

Well neither parts are different in dimension not sure why the different part number but the the thread is a tight 10-32 so in order to 'jury rig' a solution I guess I'll need a need a stainless steel 10-32 screw and a corresponding standoff (cut to length) to get the extra length. Probably better than trying to reposition or modify the the bracket. I'm baffled as to why this is happening.
Last question, is it possible that much slack could have been taken up inside the control box. (I never pulled one apart to see)?

You might have an incorrect bracket or installed it incorrectly. As long as the cables are engaged at the correct position in the gates, it should be OK. That for any cable of any brand.

I installed the bracket correctly according to the manual as you can see by the pictures. I did this with the same kit on 2 previous motors both Nissan. Not sure what you mean by wrong bracket though, are there other brackets than the Nissan/Tohatsu 3R0-83820-0 bracket I have?
Anyway thanks for trying Paul. My solution will be a 10-32 Male/Female standoff (stainless) 1 5/8" length, this will make up for the slack.
take care.

Paul, That looks a lot longer than the original cable joint that came with the conversion kit. Can you confirm? If so can I buy that off you? That must be why the part number designation is -2

You can get it from any dealer, including me. Yes, it appears that what you have is too short.

Back