Logo

1992 Force 120 hp

Shane-O

I bought this boat last year and it has sat for 13 years. So I pulled the tank, cleaned it out, cleaned the carbs real good took it on the water one time before winter. I wasn’t able to get it to idle and showed my local boat shop a video of it running and was told I need to run the sh** out of it to blow the cobwebs off. I’ve taken it three times this season, still can’t get it to idle, now when TRYING to get it to crank it smokes like crazy, then when running it bogs down at full throttle and yesterday died on me when running it full throttle. It took forever to start back up and I finally limped it to the ramp and had to manually load it up. I need HELP BAD!! Brand new to boating and by no means a mechanic.

Did you install a new water pump impeller ?-----Trouble shooting starts with a compression test.-----Post your numbers.-----Do not have the tools for that ?----Then hurry to your local shop and have that done.

Do the compression test like Racer suggested and then a spark check on all cyl.
Change the impeller just in case.

Then redo the carbs and while they're off check the reeds behind the carbs, look for broken/missing petals.

Replace the diaphragm in the fuel pump.
Install a filter between the carb and the fuel pump.
Fram G-2 G-3 G-12 they're see through and you can check to see if the pump works.

Get a portable tank and run it off the portable to make sure the main tank isn't contaminated??
Even though you cleaned it??

If it set all winter with gas in it, was it Ethanol gas?
The E deteriorates the hoses and they can be filling the carbs with melted hose?

Post the results of the tests???

Back