Logo

40 hp mercury 4 stroke outboard charging??

labradorboater

I have a 06 mercury 40 hp outboard that is a 4 stroke that has manual start . The boat used to have a older 60 hp mariner 2 stroke that had power trim and electric start. I got the 40 hp mercury outboard because I was thinking the 4 stroke would be a lot more efficient on gas then the 2 stroke. Anyways to my question , on the 40 hp 4 stroke mercury outboard I have I want to figure out how I can get the charging wires to charge my battery on the boat to run the electronics . It has manual start and it doesn’t have a rectifier. I did some reading about this and it says there should be 2 wires coming from the stator on the flywheel. Mine has 2 yellow wires that are capped off about 12” from the stator. Just wondering what to do with them wires or will these wires not work for me on a manual start? I know that I will need to buy rectifier to install on the engine and possible connect the 2 yellow to the rectifier and connect ground to engine and red will be power to battery and grey should be for the tachometer if I am correct?? Any help would be great guys I’m new to outboards . Thanks

Since I am not that familiar with the wiring on that one I would recommend getting a factory service manual either from here or boat Info dot no and look up the wiring schematic for the charging system. If you are going to do much of anything to your engine It will be a life saver so it will be used.

Back