Logo

1985 Johnson 30 hp wont fire

Diver2500

Hi. I'm trying to help a friend out by working on his 30 hp Johnson. It's a 1985. J30ELCOA to be specific. It apparently jumped timing on him. I guess the linkage to the trigger plate broke. He repaired the linkage and used the motor since but it has been idling very rough and I guess doing that before the linkage had broken as well. He called me last week and said it quit completely. I tested compression and spark and it had no spark at all. I pulled the flywheel and found that the stator windings had gotten hooked on something and we're pulled off and broke in a couple places on 1 side of the stator. While I had it apart I replaced the stator and charge coil. I had also determined that a wire off the old stator had a split in the insulation and was quite likely shorting out. After putting in the new stator and charge coil I purchased through marineengine.com (great service by the way, thanks!) I still have absolutely no spark... Not sure if I should look at replacing the CDI box or something else at this point... Don't know if it would have fried the CDI or maybe the rectifier or both... Not sure where to look at this point. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Did you test the coils? Maybe they need replaced ?

I don't have the specs to check the coils and isn't a special tester needed?
Besides, what are the chances that both coils have gone out at the same time... I'd think it be a greater chance of the CDI pack having burned out when the stator shorted out, no?

I don't have the specs to check the coils and isn't a special tester needed?
Besides, what are the chances that both coils have gone out at the same time... I'd think it be a greater chance of the CDI pack having burned out when the stator shorted out, no?
Did you check the ground for continuity from the CDI to the block?I lost all spark acouple years ago on my 1985 20hp out on the water and almost ordered a new CDI.Checked the eye terminal on the ground where the bolt for CDI goes thru and even though it was tight and looked clean I had no ground on the terminal.Cleaned eye terminal and block and spark came back.Worked ever since.

Back