Logo

Tilt relief Valve replacement on 1997 Force 40hp

ejohnson1

Hi Friends,

I recently purchased my first boat, it has a 1997 40 hp force engine se# 0E262721... It has a single rod/ram tilt and trim unit that works fine except when under load.. there doesn't appear to be any external leakage and the relief valve screw is nice and tight. I've been doing some research for the past day or so and I think I've stumbled upon the problem. Here it is, I believe the issue is with the tilt relief valve (https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER827672A+1) or possibly the memory piston? The tilit relief valve is pretty pricey so I am hoping someone can confirm that is the best place to start. I have no problem doing this myself as my mechanical abilities are not bad. Just looking for any advice/guidance!

Thanks Much!
e

This might be the problem??
Or the 4th part from the right(see your pic) has a tiny rubber seal that goes bad.
Sometimes it goes bad and just replacing it can fix the problem.$.20
Take yours apart and take some pics and get CLOSE!!!!
That way I can tell if it might be the problem.

It takes 5 posts to add pics, unless you use a photo sharing site, Shutterfly etc.

fetch
fetch

These pics are from the older style T@T but show something that is close.

Post pics of the parts you have and I'll see if they are what you need.

Last edited:
Thanks!! For some reason I cant see your pictures anymore, I saw them when I checked the post from my phone, but now they're gone. Anyway, the part you're referring to in your first reply, the part that's 4th from the right on the valve relief, is what you suspect might be the issue? Do you have any idea what the memory piston does? I'm starting to think that the internal valves on that might be the issue or adding to the issue. Have a good weekend!

Memory piston?Add a pick??
The link you posted the 4th part is the one I was refering to not my post.
I'll add them again.
fetch
fetch

ah ok.. So the memory piston is part #11 in this parts diagram. I have no idea what its function is, but I read a post in another forum discussing the same problem, and the guy said he replaced his piston (not "memory piston" but I am assuming this is the same thing) and replaced some O-rings and that fixed it. So yea, I'm not sure what that piston does do you?

See my pics? the second one has a the tiny seal.

That seal might be in yours too.
That seal is usually where the leak develops???? Maybe??
Like I said my pics are from the older Prestolite system.
But generally work the same.

Back