Logo

How to remove Buick 225 V6 engine from 1971 Chris Craft Lancer

Steimi

I am working on a 1971 Chris Craft 17 ft Lancer with a Buick 225 V6 engine in it. I need to re-ring and install new Crank/Connecting Rod Bearings. What is the best way to remove the motor from the boat? I have a Volvo Penta AquaMatic 250 Outdrive. The book that I have states to remove the Transmission and engine together. I have removed the 6 bolts from the Outdrive Clamp Ring. I have the Motor mounts disconnected also and all other items connected to the engine. The engine is free and clear of all misc items, (Wires, hoses, etc). I can not get the Bell housing to slide out of the transom shield. Is there a trick to doing this? Also, can I just unbolt the Bell housing from the engine and just remove the Engine itself? k
Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks You in advance for any assistance.

I am working on a 1971 Chris Craft 17 ft Lancer with a Buick 225 V6 engine in it. I need to re-ring and install new Crank/Connecting Rod Bearings. What is the best way to remove the motor from the boat? I have a Volvo Penta AquaMatic 250 Outdrive. The book that I have states to remove the Transmission and engine together. I have removed the 6 bolts from the Outdrive Clamp Ring. I have the Motor mounts disconnected also and all other items connected to the engine. The engine is free and clear of all misc items, (Wires, hoses, etc). I can not get the Bell housing to slide out of the transom shield. Is there a trick to doing this? Also, can I just unbolt the Bell housing from the engine and just remove the Engine itself? k
Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks You in advance for any assistance.

OK. SO after trying to remove the Transmission I decided to try to just remove the motor from the Bell Housing. In the book it stated that there were 3 bolts holding the motor to the Bell Housing that were nearly impossible to get to while the motor was in the boat. Well I discovered that the motor they were referring to was not my motor so no such 3 bolts on mine. I split the motor from the Bell Housing and the motor is out. I am moving on to doing the re-ring and bearing replacement and hopefully reinstalling this motor tomorrow or the next day.

I Love when a Plan comes together!!! Have a Great Weekend All!
Steimi

Back