Logo

I certainly hope there is not more water intrusion in lower unit 04 175 w/ oil injection

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
2004 Johnson BRP 175HP model J175PLSRB Fill & Drain Screw Seal0311598 last year about this time I reused the the fill & drain nylon gaskets when Changing lower unit oil, which other than oil injection is the only oil this engine use’s.

1. are you Guy’s getting the replacement rubber seals or continueing on w/ the orginal nylon seals?
Previous oil had issues due to a faulty water pump shaft seal I believe it was a small oring type.anyway there was water intrusion image 1.note water being separated.

Image 2 recent oil doesn’t appear to have water intrusion. note water not being separated.

3.is there a alternative gasket besides marine? Currently looking to spend $.95 each gasket then $4. ship so right at $6.
What do you Guy’s think? Thanks TB

Attachments

• small amout water in oil4 old oil.jpg
    small amout water in oil4 old oil.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 16
  • latest lower oil no water.jpg
    latest lower oil no water.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
What oil are you using??? Need to be using the HPF or Hi performance oils
I've used evinrude/johnson hi vis, I think I'm being ripped off at close to $15.per.quart.
what doe's it look like still leaking water into the lower unit?

is the water repellancy in the evinrude oil preventing the oil from completely collasping so to speak of. and car rear end end should never be used. I was actuelly thinking of changing the LU after ever weekend of use just to keep the oil fresh.

this evinrude oil is hard to get I like academy but they don't sell it. they do have regular merc. lower unit oil silver something.
please suggest a decent oil.

Attachments

• omc oil1399.jpg
    omc oil1399.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Wrong oil....anyway that oil looks like aerated
Hi-Vis Gearcase Lubricant for Johnson/Evinrude/OMCHi-Vis® gear case lubricant is an exceptional heavy duty gearcase oil. It offers high film strength and protection in wet environments in 1989 and earlier V4 and smaller Evinrude® and Johnson® outboards that specify Hi-Vis®.

are you saying the regular merc. lower unit oil silver something is the wronge oil.
please suggest a decent oil.

what does airated mean?

that oils being in the lower unit since late nov,

Hey TB, sounds like you're getting a lot of use out of that boat.

As faztbullet said, you should be using HPF Pro gear oil. http://shop.evinrude.com/product/343540/779758/_/XPS_HPF_PRO_Gearcase_Lubricant_Gallon I bought one of these a few years ago and I'm just now about to use the last of it.

I suppose you could use the Mercury gear oil they carry at Walmart but be very careful when choosing a bottle. They have 2 bottles that look very similar but one is designed for engines 75HP and below and the other is for higher HP outboards and Mercruiser stern drives. The lower HP stuff is something like a 75W90 while the higher HP stuff is straight 90W. I can't seem to find the weight specs for HPF Pro so I can't say if the Merc high HP oil is an exact equivalent or not.

KJ

Haven’t been out since late Nov.2019

Yes you are correct the cheap merc oil $7.50 quart is for 75hp.

I purchased 2 marine lower unit oils.
El cheapo walmart brand this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Te.../16928007?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0 because I was under the plan to change oil every weekender
Basicely 3-4 days cruising.if el cheapo proves no intrution then leave the lucas in,
Then lucas marine https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lu...w-90-m8-marine-gear-oil#repChildCatid=1385128 I was able to get at academdy.

1.should I not even bother w/ the el cheapo and just use the Lucas?
I would like to not reuse the LU fill drain nylon gaskets.
2.where to get these gaskets?
I see the oil pumps screw in adaptor has a regular O ring
3.doe’s anyone here use regular rubber o rings to seal LU?
Thanks Guys I’m preparing for the next expedition I uselly shake down at the lake once then go cruise the gulf.

Last edited:
Having to change oil every trip / weekend is playing Russian roulette.----Pressure test the lower unit to find leaks if there are any !-----Fix the leaks.----Use the nylon seals on the drain / vent plugs.-----Change gear oil every 300 hrs or so.-------Gears / bearings / shafts are expensive.

yes that's exactly what happened the mechanic couldn't find the leak untill the third try. this the expert I wanted installing the water pump correctly ,second image is the oil since the leak repair the oring on the gear shaft.
this oil has been steadie for days if there was intrusion then the water would have separated by now correct?

I guess $7. for a couple nylon seals is par for the course. unless someone knows a deal.if I remember corrctly evinrude had problems w/ orings leaking that's why they use nylon.

Back