Logo

1982 Evinrude 60HP BIG SCREW UPP!!! HELP!!!

MittyB

Hey all,

My 1982 Evinrude 60Hp bought the boat and motor for $300 two years ago (so year it was a dump, good condition but the floor and everything about the dingy was hacked at from the owners), i actually saved it from the dump as the owner had two boats already. Anyway weekend project working on it for like 2 years now and at last it was time to give it a go on the water. (After around 2 grand and all my effort) I was so keen to get it out went to the local creek mouth that goes to the ocean so salt water, and she went like the clappers amazing ran sweet after having some dramas starting it, believe its just overwhelmed for its first trip. Anyway third trip now got the family of 4 on it and went out put the pots in and came back in, as heading in looked over the edge and must've been a low high tide i could see the floor, freaked out tried to put the motor up but am now not stuck but slowed by a huge sand bank thing, motor wont go up or down its literally dredging through the sand like i mean im digging holes didn't know what to do as im not a boatie and didnt turn the motor off in case i couldn't get back out. So powered on slowly pissed off thinking this is the end of my hard work, anyway tried everything high revs (wasn't really moving anywhere cause the sand), low revs going slow and moving slightly, managed to get out with the engine sounding really bad spluttering and stuff, got to the boat ramp still not looking good. Had a look at the bottom leg looked alright, got home and flushed it out but the tell-tale pisser was kinda warm tbh then normal but only felt like 10 times so not much to go on, Two days pass i go to flush again for 7 minutes and sounding decent but tell tale was warm and so was the head or engine part of the outboard, then i felt the metal part between the tell-tale down to the prop which i have never felt and it was very warm strangely, i have never felt it before so have nothing to go off but it seems bad not sure if that is normal because have never felt it before. Did some research said sand can damage cooling system but i dont have money for that really hence the cheap boat it was so good for 2 days and now where here again:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:, seems like it could be cooling system because when i mean i was in the sand i mean i was in the sand. Bummer, thoughts everything is appreciated, Thanks everyone:).

check head temp. with infra red heat gun while on hose or in water, post results, maybe time for impeller change if not done since you got it

While it certainly is possible that the sand fouled it up, if it were all that common, there would be boats laid up all over the place around here. People come here for the beaches. Launch it again in deep-enough water and see if you really have a problem before freaking out.

While it certainly is possible that the sand fouled it up, if it were all that common, there would be boats laid up all over the place around here. People come here for the beaches. Launch it again in deep-enough water and see if you really have a problem before freaking out.
Yeah your right should give it a good run cheers mate

Back