Logo

Starting MerCruiser 5.0 EFI outside the boat

Throwtex

Hi!
We are trying to start a MerCruiser 5.0 Efi outside the boat. What are necessary for the engine to run? We tried to connect the round 10-pin connector alone, but again what do we have to connect on the other end of the 10 pin conector?

Cheers Kevin

I think you need switched power to the engine harness. You may need to improvise a way to get power to the correct pins inside the plug. There's a pinout guide around here somewhere....

Need battery hooked to big lug of starter, ground to anywhere on block, used jumper cable to hook to stud on flywheel cover. I ended up buying a short post I’ve battery cable at auto parts store so I didn’t have to jack it out of the boat.

in 10 pin connector I used two 6” pieces of like 14 gauge stranded wire , twist two ends together and jam in #6 which is red/purple wire (12v supply off starter lug through 50 amp breaker), the other two ends

- jam one in #5 purple to power up the ignition circuit, keep this maintained when u want to run, remove to kill the engine
- other one momentarily put in #7 yellow/red this will energize slave solenoid and engage starter.

this whole thing does same thing BT dr outlines just does it through the engine harness.

additionally take fuel line off pump and stick in gas can, clamp garden hose in hose that comes up from drive supplying cooling water. I just put the exhaust elbows and 90 down turns on them angled out to keep the exhaust and water discharge off engine

not a bad idea to get a mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauge to keep an eye on things especially if you’ve done work to the engine or if it’s new. These are like $20 each at any auto parts store. Great to set timing and check for leaks before dropping it in the boat.

Back