Logo

New cobra owner

Beringc

Just picked up a 2850 with a king cobra mated to the 460.

I’m not new to boats, but new to The sterndrive. I had a whaler with the omc sea drive and that was a pos.

reading the forum is great, lots of good advice. I just ordered a rebuild drive from MI, so we will see how it goes!

sorry to hear about your purchase of the king cobra... parts are extremely hard to find for theses drives, but when they work, they are good drive units.... I believe the king cobra was OMC's first venture into the cone clutch drive, and they went out of business shortly thereafter due to a number of reasons that had nothing to do with the king cobra... although if they would have came out with the cone clutch drive sooner, they may have lasted a few more years..

OMC COBRA units are decent dependable long lasting drives when they are set up and maintained correctly.

sorry to hear about your purchase of the king cobra... parts are extremely hard to find for theses drives, but when they work, they are good drive units.... I believe the king cobra was OMC's first venture into the cone clutch drive, and they went out of business shortly thereafter due to a number of reasons that had nothing to do with the king cobra... although if they would have came out with the cone clutch drive sooner, they may have lasted a few more years..

OMC COBRA units are decent dependable long lasting drives when they are set up and maintained correctly.
Mine is the dog clutch version. I researched the part availability prior to purchase. I found quite a few sources for dog clutch versions, not so much for the cone clutch.

The baby King has less choices than the regular cobra as well. Everything but the lower unit seems to be shared among all versions with the dog clutch. We’ll see how things go....

Back