Logo

Ford sabre 280c seized

Boatman1

Hi all, I am new to this forum.
I have 6 cylinder Ford Sabre and guess its pretty similar to the fords mention here.
Engine has been sitting for a year and now wont turn over.
I have removed injectors and poured some oil down in the hope this might help free it up.
Has anyone had experience with this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Boatman, My quess is that the intercooler has leaked into the intake and cylinders. Get a small bore scope on ebay or Harbor freight and check each cylinder for water or rust. If that is the case a teardown and new intercooler are probably required.
Charlie W

Hi Charlie W,
Thanks for that.
We went a bit futher and removed head.
After seeing condition of cylinders we supsected what you had said.
So we cleaned as much of the gunk and corrosion as possible and tried moving pistons by hitting a block of timber on top.
Nothing moving yet.
When you say strip down, do you mean engine out, remove, replace liners, rings, pistons maybe or of we got it moving as is, would there be a chance of getting it running again

Hi Boatman1 , In most cases you will have to tear it down completely and have it bored oversize. The piston rings i'm sure are stuck in the grooves and cylinders pitted. If you did manage to clean it up i'm sure it would smoke. These are expensive parts and the only place i know is American Diesel Corp in Virginia 804 435 3107
Charlie W

Back