Logo

98 Merc 200 outboard power head stuck

sbklf

Contributing Member
[h=2]Been thru this once with a parts motor and wound up drilling thru the case and thru the studs to cut them in half. Don't want to do that with this motor, anyone have any tricks for separating the power head from the mid section? The studs pass thru two plates and then the mid section, where are you finding them seized (seems the one I did was in the mid section)? Thanks, Kevin[/h]

Do you find that the studs are normally stuck in the midsection? Or those two plates between the mid-section and power head?

Sometimes the PH to DSH gasket "welds" them together, I take a dinner knife and force it between them moving around the entire periphery. You can hang the powerhead enough to create a separation force.

Remove lower unit.-----Make 1/2 " steel plate with eye bolt.-----Bolt this on in place of the lower unit.----Put 4 nuts on to the studs that bolt powerhead to midsection.-----Install lifting eye into the flywheel.------Set up a way that you can anchor one end of the motor and use a puller on the other end.

I finally got it apart. 9 of the 10 studs were locked in with oxidation. I was able to break the 5 short studs loose with heat but had to cut the 4 long ones with a cut off wheel thru the exhaust plate (I had cut the adapter plate on my parts motor so had an extra exhaust plate). I also wound up breaking off 3 more bolts in other places I will have to drill out and had to JB Weld a leaking waterway (oxidation hole) at the poppet that I think might have been causing some temperature issues. Hoping to just keep this one going until I can buy a new motor in a couple years.

I'm tired of working on old boat motors. I'd rather fish the coast but it is so hard on equipment might go back to the lake.

Are the two anodes on the lower unit the only ones this motor has?

This motor is a 98, is anyone making a more corrosion resistant motor these days?

Last edited:
Back