Logo

Bravo 3 Out drive not going down

rudder1

I have twin bravo three‘s,MerCruiser’s. 2005. When I was painting the motors and moving them up and down the starboard side got stuck in the up position. The motor seems to be running good and trim switch on handle will bring it up but it will not go down. I Checked the reservoirs and both are full and can’t find any leaking going on. If anybody can shed some light on this I’d appreciate it. Thank you.

Ayuh,...... Crack loose the trim lines under the drive, 'n see if it goes down as the oil leaks out,.......

If so, the valve it the pump is probably stuck, from bein' in the over-load position,..... that groan ya hear from the pump, right at the top,.....

I tap the down button a couple times, when I hear the over-load,..... just so it's less likely to lock up,....

Ayuh,...... Crack loose the trim lines under the drive, 'n see if it goes down as the oil leaks out,.......

If so, the valve it the pump is probably stuck, from bein' in the over-load position,..... that groan ya hear from the pump, right at the top,.....

I tap the down button a couple times, when I hear the over-load,..... just so it's less likely to lock up,....

I second this,

If you hold the up/trailer button to long after drive reaches max up travel, you can cause the system to over pressurize. Only quick fix is to so as suggested to hydraulic lines

Also as suggested if you do hold the button a bit to long always press down button to release pressure. I have adapted this practice and now do it automatically with every boat.

Thank you so much for your help. I just had a chance to get back out there and work on it and I went up and down with the switch a few times and topped off fluid and it’s going up and down pretty good but it’s making a higher pitch noise than the other one. Just a little nervous once I put in the water it might get stuck again or wonder if something is wearing out. Anybody with any insight on why this higher pitch is happening I would appreciate it. :cool:

Thank you so much for your help. I just had a chance to get back out there and work on it and I went up and down with the switch a few times and topped off fluid and it’s going up and down pretty good but it’s making a higher pitch noise than the other one. Just a little nervous once I put in the water it might get stuck again or wonder if something is wearing out. Anybody with any insight on why this higher pitch is happening I would appreciate it. :cool:

Once it is in the water it will work like it should... They get stuck sometimes... A little grease on the shaft, run the drive up and down will not hurt.

Once it is in the water it will work like it should... They get stuck sometimes... A little grease on the shaft, run the drive up and down will not hurt.
Thank you. Now I just got the motor started and the temperature gage on my starboard side is jumping around rapidly. I remember changing that gauge last year and put a new gauge there. So I just cleaned the ground on the back of the gauge and cleaned the wire going to the sender on the thermostat and it still doing it. Any ideas what else could cause a temp gauge to go wacky?

Is this happening running on the hose or in the water? On the flush hose... Air will get into the cooling stream and cause the the gauge to jump around.
This was on the hose. Only one gauge did it. I think I had problems with that gauge doing same thing last year and I put new gauge in. I’ll see what happens when I put it in the next weekend. Thank you so much

Back