Logo

water coming in

chetc

i have a smokercraft 14ft big fisherman probably 25yrs old, the outboard is a 25hp manual start Yamaha, i had the boat out a few times and i noticed when i am running the outboard at slower speed maybe 1/3rd throttle everything seems to be ok, when i get up around 3/4 to full throttle i see water gushing up along both sides of the motor on the rear of the transom and seems to come over the transom into the boat, does this have anything to do with motor set up which i never done, to remedy this seems like i have to make some kind of plastic or aluminum deflectors on the transom, would one of those fins attached to the motor help, is this a common issue, i have had 3 or 4 boats over the years and never saw it happen.

thanks
chet

Ayuh,.... Just raise the trim pin up a hole or 2,......

How long has this motor been used on this boat,..??

Generally, the anti-cavitation plate (i.e. anti-ventilation plate) should be even with the lowest point on the transom. If you have an engine extension bracket mounted on the transom, then the plate should be elevated 1" above the lowest point on the transom for every 12" of offset.

thank you Bondo

i will try it next time out, i sure hope it helps

chet

HI Bondo

i just checked the pin position on the outboard, it was on the second to last all the way out, i moved the pin to the last position, what do you think, any other suggestions if water still climbs up the transom into the boat

chet

Back