Logo

Can Some of the Yamaha Prime Starter Modules be Substituted for Different Part Number?

I have a 2005 50HP 2 stroke that comes with a # 63D-14380 prime starter module. There are no aftermarket parts for this part number. Yet there are many, much less expensive, aftermarket prime starters # 65W-14380 and # 69W-14380 for the 20HP to 60HP 4 stroke engines.

If it is just a question of electrical lead length or connectors, it would be worthwhile to just make this minor retrofit.

Johnson / Evinrude have had a very simple / successful electric primer valve on motors from 9.9 to 300 HP.---Used since 1980 or so.------A competent individual can easily add one to any other brand of motor.-----There are lots of used ones around.

Johnson / Evinrude have had a very simple / successful electric primer valve on motors from 9.9 to 300 HP.---Used since 1980 or so.------A competent individual can easily add one to any other brand of motor.-----There are lots of used ones around.

I'm not sure if the Johnson / Evinrude part would fit. The piston diameter and retracted position would have to be the same.
Actually the Yamaha part is a heating coil and wax pellet that is connected to one side of the alternator winding. It is supposed to be retracted when cold, and then extends to close off the small ports at the bottom of the chamber, as the motor runs and the wax pellet expands and extends the piston. There is no connection to the choke switch, button, or depressed key switch. Comment by mechanic that was a Yamaha dealer service manager - they're no good.

I think Mercury and OMC actually have a solenoid that is activated by the choke switch or depressed key. I would love to have one, that would fit, for my motor. I have a choke switch and the wire runs all the way through the harness into the motor. It would be easy to connect if the dimensions and extension of the piston matched.

????----The Johnson / Evinrude electric primer is a wonderful ( stand alone ) unit that can be installed on any motor.----You would not be trying to cobble up or add that to the existing Yamaha parts.----I know how well they work. ----Look into how they work yourself and find one is my suggestion.

Back