Logo

What is the difference in these fuel pumps

swc65

Regular Contributor
I am rectifying a mis-applied electric fuel pump on 91' OMC equipped SBC 5.7L crate engine. Original code is 574APERD with mechanical pump and it was fitted with the wrong electric fuel pump at some point in the past. I was advised by RicardoMarine that the existing pump is for generator. Current pump is not wired per USCG requirements and I'll be correcting with appropriate Low Oil Pressure Switch. It is also only supplying 2 psi to the Holley Marine 650 spread bore marine carb.

I am considering:
Sierra 18-7333 http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7333
Carter P 4594 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIQ5E...colid=HW6UXSFGXGK6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it (I can't find the Carter on Marine Engine site.)

There is a considerable price difference. I'm a firm believer in "getting what you pay for". Are there real differences between these two? I'd like to support our host however Amazon pricing is extremely attractive on the Carter. The price difference is over 2X.

I have read in some reviews that a 100 Micron filter is recommend upstream of pump and also that the pump be mounted upstream of the fuel/water separator. Can that be confirmed?

Tips on removing very tight Fuel/Water separator? Not sure last time it was replaced. I have owned boat for ~5 years and didn't realize it should be changed. What is recommended frequency.

I will be rebuilding the carb, my lack of attention to the fuel system has come home to roost.

Both pumps are probably identical and Amazon is undercutting all marine parts. I have no problem with amazon parts if you know what your looking at.
Filters, water sep filters, etc, always go on the suction side
Have had those stubborn fuel seps too, usually from using a wrench instead of only hand tight .
Remove from boat and drain . place housing in vise and use a torch to heat around the rubber gasket area, works every time

The gasket is part of the filter it looks just like an oil filter. The pumps look to be the same, personally if you can use a mechanical pump I prefer them, if the engine still has the fuel pump hole in the block.

Last edited:

I am considering:
Sierra 18-7333 http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7333
Carter P 4594 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIQ5E...colid=HW6UXSFGXGK6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it (I can't find the Carter on Marine Engine site.)
I agree with Ed! Most likely both of those are the same electric fuel pump..... just different marketing and pricing.
shopping

I have read in some reviews that a 100 Micron filter is recommend upstream of pump
I believe that you meant to say 10 micron.

If you suspect that your fuel tank may have debris in it, I would suggest the Parker/RACOR system for inboards (metal bowl).
The Parker/RACOR is available as a complete kit, or as a retro-fit cartridge and metal bowl only.

RACOR fuel filters.png
If you go with the cartridge and bowl only, you'll need to know which OEM base you have now (thread size/pitch).

...... and also that the pump be mounted upstream of the fuel/water separator. Can that be confirmed?
The fuel filter system will be placed immediately after the fuel tank's anti-siphon valve, and will be up-stream of the electric fuel pump.
It can be mounted "off-engine".
If you go with the Parker/RACOR, be sure to mount it high enough so that you can get a catch container safely underneath it.

Tips on removing very tight Fuel/Water separator? Not sure last time it was replaced. I have owned boat for ~5 years and didn't realize it should be changed. What is recommended frequency.
Wrap a hot water soaked towel around it. Let it warm up a bit.

I will be rebuilding the carb, my lack of attention to the fuel system has come home to roost.
All the more reason for the Parker/RACOR system.

Thanks! Good idea on the filter. IS there a gasket to replace on the housing if I remove?
As per Louc, the gasket will be similar to an engine oil filter cartridge.
Before installing the new cartridge, rub a film of oil on the gasket.... just as you would with an oil filter cartridge.
Hand tighten only.

Back