Logo

1997 Crownline 250CR TSK DP-S Outdrive 7.4GL Engine

mckaras

Hello! I'm having issues with the shifter getting hung up in reverse on my boat when it is in the water. It shifts from neutral to reverse and forward to neutral however it does feel off slightly. The issue is shifting into reverse from neutral or from forward it gets hung up slightly and does not let you shift into neutral.

When the boat is turned off it does let you shift back into neutral. At times it does get stuck in reverse until you mess around with the shifter to get it back into neutral. The shifter shoe/dog has been changed with a brand new one, as well as a brand new upper unit outdrive seal, and brand new outdrive fluid.

The cable has been adjusted to take up some slack however it is still having the same issue as prior to being adjusted. Any insight on what parts it could be or what needs to get changed out to remedy the situation would be greatly appreciated since it was taken out on the water today with a buyer and still had an issue!

Thank you for your time!

Mark

Hello! I'm having issues with the shifter getting hung up in reverse on my boat when it is in the water. It shifts from neutral to reverse and forward to neutral however it does feel off slightly. The issue is shifting into reverse from neutral or from forward it gets hung up slightly and does not let you shift into neutral.

When the boat is turned off it does let you shift back into neutral. At times it does get stuck in reverse until you mess around with the shifter to get it back into neutral. The shifter shoe/dog has been changed with a brand new one, as well as a brand new upper unit outdrive seal, and brand new outdrive fluid.

The cable has been adjusted to take up some slack however it is still having the same issue as prior to being adjusted. Any insight on what parts it could be or what needs to get changed out to remedy the situation would be greatly appreciated since it was taken out on the water today with a buyer and still had an issue!

Thank you for your time!

Mark

Take a look at the shift linkage and eccentric piston on the outdrive. You should be able to disconnect the shift cable from the linkage and turn the eccentric piston somewhat easily by hand. There will be some resistance when you hit each detent in forward/neutral/reverse. DO NOT use any tools to turn the eccentric piston, the metal is soft and you will stretch out the hole where the detent pin is inserted. If you have someone who can help you, have them go to the helm, watch what happens to the eccentric piston when they shift into forward or reverse, engine off of course. Is the eccentric piston turning fully to each detent, forward, neutral, reverse?

1981Century

The eccentric piston turns easily by hand without any issue. Are you saying that the eccentric piston could be the source of the issue? I only have the issue pop up when it under load when the engine is running shifting from any gear has some issues however reverse is the only gear it gets stuck in when running and frees up once the boat is turned off.

Take a look at the shift linkage and eccentric piston on the outdrive. You should be able to disconnect the shift cable from the linkage and turn the eccentric piston somewhat easily by hand. There will be some resistance when you hit each detent in forward/neutral/reverse. DO NOT use any tools to turn the eccentric piston, the metal is soft and you will stretch out the hole where the detent pin is inserted. If you have someone who can help you, have them go to the helm, watch what happens to the eccentric piston when they shift into forward or reverse, engine off of course. Is the eccentric piston turning fully to each detent, forward, neutral, reverse?

The eccentric piston turns easily by hand without any issue. Are you saying that the eccentric piston could be the source of the issue? I only have the issue pop up when it under load when the engine is running shifting from any gear has some issues however reverse is the only gear it gets stuck in when running and frees up once the boat is turned off.​

Did you follow the adjustment procedure in the Volvo owners manual? Also... does the clamp plate on the drive correctly engage the groove on the shift cable fitting at the point where the cable enters the drive?

1981Century did a nice job at explaining the eccentric piston.

I agree... if the piston rotates easily, you most likely have an issue elsewhere.

Yeah, you are going to have to change the back shift cover on the drive.... They wear and get hard to pull out of gear.....sometimes next to impossible to pull out of gear.... Feels fine when actuated by hand..... Fails during use....

Back