Logo

1982 evinrude 60hp running very high RPMs after start!

pedrodog

Was running fine with no problems. It sat during the winter with occasional start ups then one day it just started running very high RPMs . I figured maybe it was the carburetors so I did a rebuild on both and replaced the starter cylinoid and fuel lines , changed gear oil and still can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok I'm a total nub when it comes to outboards lol and only know the basics but when it comes to what is what I haven't a clue. Fly wheel key? Timer base? Ugh

Perhaps check the flywheel key.-----Look for linkages loose from timer base.
ok thanks again for your response.I looked it up and figured what they were. The flywheel key is good, I can turn the fly wheel and determined that it is TDC. Need to check and test the timer base aka stator, correct? Also, can the stator still give spark to the plugs if it's bad? or can the spark advance be off, if so I would need to check timing with a timing light right? thanks

Last edited:
Spark can still be delivered with linkage off of the timing base. Could also be a vacuum leak into the crankcase. This might not have happened with symptoms you describe. Likely a linkage issue. Make sure carbs are closing completely to the stop and also the associated linkage to the timing base. This problem is likely in linkages.

Spark can still be delivered with linkage off of the timing base. Could also be a vacuum leak into the crankcase. This might not have happened with symptoms you describe. Likely a linkage issue. Make sure carbs are closing completely to the stop and also the associated linkage to the timing base. This problem is likely in linkages.

UGH I'm about to pull all my hair out! I backed the timing screw and got it running semi right but now it's running ruff and sometimes back fires. When I try to increase the timing it wants to run uncontrollably at high RPMs to where I have to shut it down. I checked to stator resistance and it both reads correctly 501ohms and 40ohms. Gonna try extending the roller cam linkage to the carburetor roller and see if that helps. Thanks for your response!

Do not start adjusting things with ----" I wonder what happens if I do this " approach.---Could lead to big $$$ damage.----Timing and carburetors just do not go out of adjustment all by themselves.

Back