Logo

New Yamaha 4 stroke 40 hp. vs 1995 Johnson 48SPL

Chick

Regular Contributor
Any of you fellas know how the new Yamaha 4 stroke stacks up against the 1995 Johnson 48 SPL 2 stroke? Speed and getting a loaded boat on top.

Money is not the issue. I want reliability, but I do not want to sacrifice an older motor that preforms fairly well, for a newer model that is a dog.

If money isn't an issue, then just keep the Johnson and fix whatever breaks on it. A 48hp 2-stroke will typically out-perform any 40hp 4-stroke, in terms of speed and hole-shot. Even if it develops internal damage, you'll still spend less money fixing it than you would by replacing it with a new engine. But of course, fixing internal damage will cost you time on the water. So that's a trade-off you have to measure.

But if a new Yamaha/Merc/Suzuki gives you any serious problems, that would be very unusual imo. For the mid-size range, all those brands are reliable if you take care of them.

Some of the newest parts motors I have are 4 strokes.-----The way these motors are made to save on weight and the multitude of parts makes them " not worth fixing "----The cost of " shop time " is the deal breaker.

Back