Logo

9.8 4stroke Tohatsu flooding

JimGreenwood

I have a 9.8 4 stroke Tohatsu it starts on the first or second pull every time. ( 5 years it has been a great motor) last Oct I ran all the fuel out of the engine, fuel line and tank and put it up for the winter. Last week I got the motor out, new fuel, starts 2nd pull with choke on. Shuts down and the starts 1st pull without choke on. After running for 4 -5 min it floods out and Shuts down. I know it is fooding as fuel is running /dripping off and out of carburetor. I read on this site to let it sit and
And if it is the float it may break loose. I tried it for 4 days last week.

Today I removed and cleaned the carburetor. Put it back on and again started very easily, after running well for a few minutes it boggs down and as fuel starts dripping from the carburetor it shunts off.

Can someone help? I have seen a wizard name Paul on this site who seems to have great advice.

Thanks
Jim

You still have a float valve or float problem. Time to take the carb off again. Clean it Properly, verify float height, and reassemble and try again.

With the bowl off, invert the carb casting, and the float should be approximately parallel. Full info is in your trusty Factory service manual.

Back