Logo

60 merc problem

Have you looked at the fuel pump diaphragm ?-----Might test run the motor on a borrowed tank and hose.-----Perhaps test run with a timing light to observe spark behavior on the 3 leads.

Thanks racerone I have run the engine on another tank and line,,,,,no change.
I think I got a pump kit with the powerhead gaskets but haven't looked at pump yet, looking like my next job. When that's done I'll get a mate with timing light to do a check.
Ray

I can not see your carburetors here.------Are the " boost venturi's " in place ?---They are black plastic bits I believe.

I can not see your carburetors here.------Are the " boost venturi's " in place ?---They are black plastic bits I believe.

I'm sure they are as I recall a black plastic tube affair in the centre of carb mouth both cards look the same regarding them, but I'll check again tomorrow while taking pump off.
Thanks
Ray

Ok so this is where I'm up to .took off the stator and it checked out good except for the charging part which for the moment is not a concern. Trigger checked out great. Replaced them, no change. Motor fired up instantly but still only on two cylinders.
After running it on muffs for a few minutes I checked the plugs and all three seemed a bit oily but I'm convinced that there's water on top plug.
I will try to post a photo of top plug.
All water jacket gaskets changed two weeks ago. Compression is great ,spark is great and as far as I can tell I have fuel.
I've had some great help so far from you guys, but if anyone can advise me what's next or a test that tells me it's a no go please do.
Ray 20200514_193849.jpg20200514_193849.jpg

Looks like water ingestion to me also..need to come apart for block inspecrion. On these have seen a broken reed cause reversion and cylinder suck water from exhaust.

Looks like water ingestion to me also..need to come apart for block inspecrion. On these have seen a broken reed cause reversion and cylinder suck water from exhaust.

Thanks for the reply fazbullet although not the answer I wanted to hear I think you're right.
Any tips on removing the powerhead would be much appreciated .
Ray

Should I do a crankcase compression test before I take the powerhead off. If so,
how do you do it and what numbers should I be looking for.
As always thanks for any replys.
Ray

Maybe double check the wires on the trigger assembly. Sometimes they look perfectly fine but are actually junk inside the casing. I just changed one out with this problem that was causing a similar problem.
And I would try swapping the coil, plug wire, and plug from a different cylinder to see if the problem follows. And I think the only way you would be sucking water from the exhaust would be by having the engine mounted way to low and letting water in the top exhaust idle vent.
Maybe you could check to see if the water jacket holds pressure before removing the power head? Might save you some time.
Probably should get the charging portion fixed first to start and then go from there and make sure your starting battery is good.

Just my 2 cents.

Only way to pressure test would be to remove powerhead and install a block plate on bottom and pressurize block. Then remove plugs and watch to see if PSI drops and from which cylinder if it does leak. Same way I test 60° Johnrudes.

Only way to pressure test would be to remove powerhead and install a block plate on bottom and pressurize block. Then remove plugs and watch to see if PSI drops and from which cylinder if it does leak. Same way I test 60° Johnrudes.

Couldnt you just remove the lower unit and cap the pickup tube or drop the mid section and cap it there? What psi do you charge it with?

Cheers guys
It sounds almost beyond my limited knowledge although I do have the will.

Pushing I have done all the checks you mention and at moment it's on muffs.

Regarding removing powerhead is there a trick or two you could share ��
Thanks again
Ray

Couldnt you just remove the lower unit and cap the pickup tube or drop the mid section and cap it there? What psi do you charge it with?
No you cannot as you have to seal the entire water/exhaust passages. You just drill a plate the pattern of mounting gasket, use a gasket and bolt to powerhead, install schrader valve and pressurize to 10-15 psi

I appreciate all the replies.
I have to think hard as what to do next. I don't have a place to strip the powerhead down at the moment so its on hold for the time being.
I'm hoping to get back into it soon (with more questions).

Ray

Back