Logo
Click for Honda Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default 2012 BF135 Intermittent Starting Problem

Working on a BF135, 2012. The engine always cranks great. But sometimes it starts right up and runs perfectly...while other times it just cranks and cranks and no fire. And I mean one right after the other...starts fine..turn it off...won't start...wait a couple minutes...might start fine again..might not.

I've verified that the fuel pump fires up and delivers fuel every time the key is turned on. I've replaced (arbitrarily) all four control relays.

When the engine does fire, it a) fires immediately, just like it should and b) never shuts off or runs badly...it runs perfectly until the key is turned off again.

I'm about at my wits end with this thing... Not terribly worried that the boat will leave the owner stranded because you keep trying and it always randomly decides to start eventually. But something is obviously wrong.

Default Re: 2012 BF135 Intermittent Starting Problem

I have come across this only once and ecm replacement fixed it. Check to see if you have spark and injector pulse when the no start problem occurs. Do you have access to another ecm just to try?

I pulled one coil/plug and no spark when it's cranking but not firing. I have put a NOID light on an injector...will do that.

I do not have an ecm to test with. I might be able to get one from the Honda shop a buddy works at but they certainly frown on using expensive inventory for troubleshooting purposes...as you can imagine. Maybe he can grab a used one off an engine out back.

I meant one off another motor of the same year. Unfortuanatly there is no way of testing and ecm with this sort of problem. Just one other thought, has your buddy got portable box or ignition panel to connect to thr motor just to rule out a boat harness issue?

Quote Originally Posted by iang6766 View Post
    I meant one off another motor of the same year. Unfortuanatly there is no way of testing and ecm with this sort of problem. Just one other thought, has your buddy got portable box or ignition panel to connect to thr motor just to rule out a boat harness issue?
    I've checked the harness out five ways to Sunday and everything is solid. I mispoke earlier..its actually a 2014 engine. Anyway..its headed to the local Honda dealer now, with the list of things I've already checked off. I'm a Yamaha and Suzuki shop mostly...and I don't have the computer hookup for the Hondas, even though I end up working on a few of them. Outboard repair shops are getting very scarce around here and I'm one of the few left...

I'll let you know what the final outcome is. A good data point if nothing else.

They found it. Turns out it the ignition key switch was not always keeping the main (black/yellow) power feed live when in the cranking position. A stupid miss on my part...in hindsight, I should have paid more attention to the gauges. I had noticed that the voltmeter, for example, was dropping to zero while the engine was cranking and not starting. Duh....didn't make the mental connection...