Logo

Remove shift cable? Mercruiser 1.7 Alpha one gen two

Bigdrago

Hello.
I am changing bellows on my alpha one gen two. The boat is produced in 2006.

But how the heck do I remove the shift cable??gir1.jpggir2.jpg

Ayuh,..... There's supposed to be 2 little square headed screws at the shiny point, near the hole, on the inner end of the cable, in yer 2nd picture,.....
The black plastic piece needs to come off the inner cable, to allow it to be pulled out through the transom,....

If yer changin' the bellows, you Should be changin' the lower cable, at the same time,......
It's also a wear item, 'n why do the job twice,..??.....

The cable end you show is a control cable end, not the cable for the lower shift cable. It has the brass barrel and the 2 square head screws

To do a complete short shift cable replacement in order to replace the cable bellows requires a bit of effort and at least one special tool (very deep six point 9/16" Socket).

If you do not have confidence to do this it would be better to have someone who does.

If you feel you can do this and are hell bent on doing it we can help.

To do a complete short shift cable replacement in order to replace the cable bellows requires a bit of effort and at least one special tool (very deep six point 9/16" Socket).

Ayuh,.... With the new replacement cables, the little white plastic tube, on the aft end, Unscrews for installation,......

So the extra long 9/16" socket is no longer necessary,.....

Ayuh,.... With the new replacement cables, the little white plastic tube, on the aft end, Unscrews for installation,......

So the extra long 9/16" socket is no longer necessary,.....

Thats nice................................How many posts will be received with shifting problems because the boat owner forgot to reinstall plastic tube or didnt tighten it properly and it loosened up...........Not sure that is a good fix but maybe I will do some this year and find out

How many posts will be received with shifting problems because the boat owner forgot to reinstall plastic tube or didnt tighten it properly and it loosened up.

Ayuh,..... I suppose it could be forgotten, but it's finger tight out, 'n finger tight goin' in, as well as nowhere to go, if it backs out,....

It's a simple idea, 30 years late,....

Found the right one :) pulled it out and now I could remove the gimbal house.
Is there a special way it should be inserted in the boat again, a special route? I didnt have the wire that acted as a snake...

Last edited:
Better pray you have enough access to where the cable comes into the boat, but not following the you tube about the guide wire you may have a difficult time getting the cable to route correctly.
Most times the core wire is free from any shop and comes from a control cable, solid SS core.
Just make sure it`s not accidentally inserted into the coupler,

Back