Logo

1995 Johnson 175's Intermittent Alarm

ajv00303

Regular Contributor
Over the winter I did the following:
1) replaced the entire water pump: housing, impeller, wear plate, etc..
2) resealed lower units
3) verified the no oil alarm by running the engine(s) on 50:1 mix and disconnecting the oil line, both (twin engines) alarms sounded appropriately (short consistent beeps).....then re-connected the oil lines, no alarms sounded as expected.
4) Replaced primer bulb on stb engine, tested briefly all seemed OK.

Recently started both engines, water pressure ~10psi @ idle. Engine start easily and seem to run/idle well........however the stb engine sounds an alarm intermittently....not the rate of a no oil alarm, low oil sensors have been disconnected, stays on between 1-3 sec.......no cyclical repetition.

Definitely getting oil (blue exhaust).

Getting close to launching for the season......now have a concern.

Plan on measuring the temp of the cylinder head......thinking possible over temp(?) but have good water pressure. Fuel restriction problem (alarm does sound after revving in neutral).

Any other ideas?

If I can't find anything plan on launching......maybe need to run more oil/fuel through this engine.
Also....oil prime bulbs are rock solid.

Fuel restriction problem (alarm does sound after revving in neutral).
This or VRO is oil side is failing.....disconnect wire from sensor and retest if still alarms unplug VRO harness and test.

Thanks for the response.
Just to clarify, not sure of a fuel restriction.......just a suspicion.
Can you point me to the sensor you are referring to and the VRO Harness?

Cylinder head temps are ~170* measured w/ an infrared instrument.
Is the sensor being referred to the "vacuum switch"?

Faz.....thanks to your suggestion I was able to determine I do in fact have a fuel restriction. I unplugged the switch and problem went away.....reconnected and problem returned. Ran it on a portable tank with switch connected....no alarm. Going to replace filter next! Thanks again!

I have two tanks, switched between main and aux.....still got alarm.
Only time I didn't get an alarm was when I ran it off a separate tank........directly connected to the fuel filter assy. on the engine.
Only thing in-between the tanks and engine is the filter.......hoping its the filter (did replace last season).
Will report back when tested again.

I replaced the filter(s).......problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion on disconnecting the switch.
I emptied the contents of the suspect filter into a plastic bag and immediately saw some particulate matter. Guess there was quite a bit more inside if it was causing a restriction.......it was a 10 micron filter BTW.

Back