Logo

1977 OMC 235 with OMC outdrive (stringer?): question about trim solenoids

Josh2310

I just typed everything, and it said it was saving it, and I subsequently lost it all, because “I wasn’t logged in” - even though I was. :mad:

So here’s the short version:

My trim motor is good, both trim solenoids are good, both batteries are good, the trim switch is good, and the power and fuse from the starter solenoid to the trim solenoids are good - BUT I only get a click that “bumps” the stern drive (but doesn’t move it) when I push the switch, and only in one direction (the same direction, regardless of moving the wire location on the switch.) I get nothing pushing the switch the other direction. (Specifically, The direction of the other wire, wherever I move it on the switch.)

Why won’t my trim switch raise and lower the stern drive?

The tilt switch also only clicks in one direction and doesn’t engage the motor. (I have not checked those solenoids yet.)

Help appreciated!

BUT I only get a click that “bumps” the stern drive (but doesn’t move it) when I push the switch,

Ayuh,..... Will it trim up, 'n down when you jumper the solenoids,..??

Ayuh,.... Do they work, when you jumper 12v to the excite terminal on the solenoids,..??

If so, yer problem is in the switch circuits,.....

So, I jumpered 12v to the excite wire and found my issue (it was a simple one). On each solenoid (I used automotive ones) there are two small posts. I had the wire on the wrong small post on the lowering solenoid. So, when I hit the switch, nothing happened going down, and the stern drive was fully up, so only the “bump.” When I switched the wire to the right post, the stern drive raised and lowered properly. Now it’s just on to figuring out why the tilt doesn’t work...

BTW, how important is it to have a working tilt? This is my first boat, and I haven’t had it in the water yet. I’m mostly familiar with why the stern drive needs to be able to raise and lower, but I’m less familiar with the need for the tilt...

Ayuh,..... Tilt will become important when loading, 'n unloading to keep the prop from gettin' smashed,.....

With a stringer drive, always run it with the tilt down, or the ball-gears get chewed up,....

OMC Trim is at the front of the engine to tilt the engine and drive up or down,
OMC Tilt only raises or lowers the drive and must be in the full down position

I have been using the terms backwards then. My tilt works, but wasn’t working. My trim still doesn’t work.

How important then, is the trim motor?

Ayuh,...... If it's trimmed to low, the hull will plow all the time,.....

If it's trimmed to high, gettin' outa the hole will cause severe bow-rise, 'n prop blow-out,....

Got the trim working. The connections needed cleaning and one solenoid had to be replaced.

So, the trim is primarily for engine weight distribution?

s-l1600.jpg

The trim motor is at the front of the engine on the side opposite the alternator and has two solenoids. The switch raises and lowers it at the front motor mounts.

I assume that means it is power trim?

Back