Logo

1989 Force 125 timing way off

mgrossbauer

I had no spark and found the flywheel magnet was loose. Removed flywheel, re-glued magnet in place where it appeared to be originally. Motor would not run right, started and idled OK, but had no power upon acceleration. Checked timing and found it way retarded, like a full 30 degrees from where it should be. Tried to adjust the trigger as far as I could, but timing marks are still about 20 degrees from the mark. Is this due to the magnet glued in the wrong position? How else could the timing be this far off? Any help would be appreciated.

You have the Prestolite CD ignition system double check with a manual some models the timing was factory set at 32 degrees then from 1982 they changed it to 30 degrees.

You have the Prestolite CD ignition system double check with a manual some models the timing was factory set at 32 degrees then from 1982 they changed it to 30 degrees.

Yeah, I am at about 60 degrees. Since my original post I have pulled the flywheel again and inspected the center magnets, all look good. Pulled a spare flywheel off another motor and compared them -- identical. The only thing I can think of is that I knocked the key out of place when I put the flywheel back on and torqued it enough to hold it in place on the crankshaft, but clocked too far off.

IF??? you moved the key?? And at 60d.
It probably wouldn't start.
The magnet, makes no difference how it's mounted as long as it doesn't rub.

Look up static timing for the Force outboard.

ibaotsdotcom has a Force Forum.
The first 4 post cover the tests.

The plugs need to be out, the wires all grounded(or the packs can blow).
The throttle advanced all the way in gear and held in place so it doesn't slide back.

IF??? you moved the key?? And at 60d.
It probably wouldn't start.
The magnet, makes no difference how it's mounted as long as it doesn't rub.

Look up static timing for the Force outboard.

ibaotsdotcom has a Force Forum.
The first 4 post cover the tests.

The plugs need to be out, the wires all grounded(or the packs can blow).
The throttle advanced all the way in gear and held in place so it doesn't slide back.

I have the correct manual for the motor.

It fired when the #1 cyl was at TDC, so it was 28 degrees off. Key is in place where it should be, trigger magnet is solidly in place and in position. I rigged an extended time adjustment screw and was able to push the trigger far enough to get it in time. I used the static timing procedure, and it is on the money. Seems to start and idle well. Will try to get it on the water today or tomorrow and see how it behaves. Here is my extended timing stud:
92818486_10219249452359501_4181465505233633280_o.jpg

Shouldn't have to add anything to make it work??
But you never know who did what before you got it???

Keep us posted onthe way it runs?

You do a comp test?

Back