Logo

Timing on 81 Johnson 140

Well I just checked the timing on my johnson 140 and in forward idle it’s supposed to be 4-6 degrees “throttle pickup”. I was at 16!! It was warmed up and in a tub of water. When I moved the timer base rubber stop forward till it hit, I was getting 4 degrees. How do I adjust this so the timer base rubber stop is all the way forward without putting everything else out of whack? Is that even the right approach? I attached a pic for reference. D59D8DED-29DE-46EA-A442-A3C185C24C96.jpeg

WOW! How long was it laying on the ocean floor? It's a miracle it even runs. Sorry....I am used to freshwater motors.

Do not ADJUST the rubber stopper !!----It is set at the factory and needs no adjustments in an owners driveway !------Your best bet is to get some help on the timing of this motor as it is way out of specification.----Going to damage your motor.-----And I agree I would not leave the harbour with that motor.

The carbs were recently rebuilt. I ended up adjusting the timing and got it within spec but idle pretty low. I don’t have a tachometer to measure it but any way to raise the idle without touching the timing anymore?

Back